Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Rate my site redesign (WIP)

• # February 8, 2013 at 10:53 pm

EDIT: The redesign is complete, or at least complete enough to use outside of development. Let me know what you think!

# February 9, 2013 at 12:11 am

Hey Keith, I really like the redesign so far. I’m viewing it on a mobile, and it looks great. The typefaces were a good choice too, but don’t get too inspired by css-tricks.

# February 9, 2013 at 12:40 am

The user and all related content has been deleted.

# February 9, 2013 at 12:40 am

I don’t really care for the way your portfolio blocks are broken up and the really long body copy in one of the other blocks.

Obviously don’t copy but one site that might give you a little inspiration is Naomi’s.

http://naomiatkinson.com

# February 9, 2013 at 5:01 am

What do you guys think of the new light color scheme? I really liked it at first and now I’m not so sure.

http://keithpickering.net/redesign

It just seems a little bland. Maybe I could find a subtle texture or something. I just want to know how you guys feel about the lighter version.

Thanks for the comments so far!

# February 9, 2013 at 7:27 am

Pablo Picasso said: “Good artists borrow, great artists steal” – I’m not a big fan of this metaphor.
    You should really change the apperance of the boxes.
    It give you too much that feeling of css-tricks, I think.

But good work with the “portfolio post” I like that tiny hover effekt.

# February 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Well I definitely haven’t stolen anything :P

It’s all my code; it just has some unintentional similarities to this site because I’ve been spending a lot of time here.

# February 10, 2013 at 9:55 am

Honestly, the design and presentation it’s not clear and intuitive at all. Just randomly scattered 5 boxes side by side of the same width and different heights which creates chaos. No sense of any kind of proportional balance, order or harmony either, due to lack of emphasis on, what is suppose to be active (primary) and or passive (complementary) content. Feels like looking at the add section of a local paper.

# February 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I have to agree partially with @jurotek . It’s not that big chaos as he says, but could be better. Make some gradation of content. Something like five rows each with a different size so most important or newest content should be bigger and less important or older should be smaller. But don’t do linear gradation! Do some mixing to kill monotony. Remove background on footer, hate chromes! :) Let it be free. :) If you do so, lower size of copyright, improve size of Back to top and give it some arrow.

This sayings about stealing is absurd, there is some similarities but there is no word of plagiarism. We can find 10000000 sites that are similar.

All in all good work, i like it.

# February 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I really like the design. While it does mirror closely the CSS-Tricks design, it does have its own, unique flavor. I also very much like the responsive design-y things, too.

The one suggestion I have is to maybe float the search bar to the right of your site’s main heading (i.e., next to KeithPickering).

I’d say if I had to rate this site out of 10, it’d be a very solid 7 or 8.

# February 10, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I really like where your design is going (and I like your drawings too!), yesterday there were 5 columns and it was a little bit overwhelming but now I see 3 content columns and a supplementary column which is much better.

I don’t care much for a ‘back to top’ button, got Home for that :P

‘Contact’ and ‘Find me elsewhere’ might be hard to reach on mobile when there is lots of content (lots of scrolling to get there)

# February 10, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Honestly..my opinion.. the old design showed more personality.
    I would like to see a “conglom” of the old with the new.
    The old site seems to say “I am Keith and I’m an the artist that designed and built this site.”
    The new site (I think) says “I am Keith and I copied this design from CSS Tricks”.
    Go with your strengths

# February 10, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Lose the Masonry.js layout, it’s not doing you any favours.

# February 10, 2013 at 10:07 pm

There seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding the use of masonry (I’m actually using isotope, but whatever). I think that since my site is primarily image-based, it’s a good design choice.

# February 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm

@KeithPickering It is just a terrible way to scan content, as your eyes have no natural path to follow. Unfortunately, despite the fact that it might look ‘pretty’, it is terrible UX, and therefore, not a good design choice.

Also, why doesn’t the navigation line up with the columns clearly defined in the content?

There are a few fairly basic design principals that you seem to be ignoring. I don’t say that to insult you, but perhaps a bit more research/education wouldn’t go astray?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".