Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Rate my site redesign (WIP)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

EDIT: The redesign is complete, or at least complete enough to use outside of development. Let me know what you think!

puig_andrew

Hey Keith, I really like the redesign so far. I’m viewing it on a mobile, and it looks great. The typefaces were a good choice too, but don’t get too inspired by css-tricks.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

The user and all related content has been deleted.

chrisburton
    Participant

I don’t really care for the way your portfolio blocks are broken up and the really long body copy in one of the other blocks.

Obviously don’t copy but one site that might give you a little inspiration is Naomi’s.

http://naomiatkinson.com

What do you guys think of the new light color scheme? I really liked it at first and now I’m not so sure.

http://keithpickering.net/redesign

It just seems a little bland. Maybe I could find a subtle texture or something. I just want to know how you guys feel about the lighter version.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Scribblerockerz
    Participant

Pablo Picasso said: “Good artists borrow, great artists steal” – I’m not a big fan of this metaphor.
    You should really change the apperance of the boxes.
    It give you too much that feeling of css-tricks, I think.

But good work with the “portfolio post” I like that tiny hover effekt.

Well I definitely haven’t stolen anything :P

It’s all my code; it just has some unintentional similarities to this site because I’ve been spending a lot of time here.

jurotek
    Participant

Honestly, the design and presentation it’s not clear and intuitive at all. Just randomly scattered 5 boxes side by side of the same width and different heights which creates chaos. No sense of any kind of proportional balance, order or harmony either, due to lack of emphasis on, what is suppose to be active (primary) and or passive (complementary) content. Feels like looking at the add section of a local paper.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

I have to agree partially with @jurotek . It’s not that big chaos as he says, but could be better. Make some gradation of content. Something like five rows each with a different size so most important or newest content should be bigger and less important or older should be smaller. But don’t do linear gradation! Do some mixing to kill monotony. Remove background on footer, hate chromes! :) Let it be free. :) If you do so, lower size of copyright, improve size of Back to top and give it some arrow.

This sayings about stealing is absurd, there is some similarities but there is no word of plagiarism. We can find 10000000 sites that are similar.

All in all good work, i like it.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

I really like where your design is going (and I like your drawings too!), yesterday there were 5 columns and it was a little bit overwhelming but now I see 3 content columns and a supplementary column which is much better.

I don’t care much for a ‘back to top’ button, got Home for that :P

‘Contact’ and ‘Find me elsewhere’ might be hard to reach on mobile when there is lots of content (lots of scrolling to get there)

djenglander

Honestly..my opinion.. the old design showed more personality.
    I would like to see a “conglom” of the old with the new.
    The old site seems to say “I am Keith and I’m an the artist that designed and built this site.”
    The new site (I think) says “I am Keith and I copied this design from CSS Tricks”.
    Go with your strengths

There seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding the use of masonry (I’m actually using isotope, but whatever). I think that since my site is primarily image-based, it’s a good design choice.

The whole concept is that the precise order of the posts is irrelevant. It’s just intended to give you a starting point, so you can click on anything that catches your interest.

The blog page, archives page, etc. will all have more standard layouts.

And the navigation doesn’t line up because there isn’t really a way to make it line up easily. I mean, I could do it, but then if I want to add another navigation link sometime in the future, it’ll no longer line up.

The redesign is complete, or at least complete enough to use outside of development. Let me know what you think!

The homepage is more of a hub for all the site’s content, while the Blog and Portfolio pages allow you to get more specific.

My old design had a more static front page, and all I heard were complaints that it didn’t allow users to get right at the content. I feel like this new design sort of inspires exploration by providing a taste of the content right away.

I also used to have a “Work” page instead of an “About” page, and I had an “About” sidebar on every page. Some people told me that it was distracting for anyone who already knows who I am. And while the “Work” page was dedicated to what I offer professionally, it never really accomplished its goal. I’ll probably update the “About” page soon with more info on what I do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.