Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

quick critique

• # August 3, 2009 at 8:24 am

Hey guys, I’m looking for quite a specific critique on a quick mock up I’m working on. This is for a temporary, and I must stress temporary portfolio I’m throwing up in a bit of a rush, as there is a need for it.

My worry is this; is it too complex to just show off half a dozen sites ? is the angled screen detrimental/confusing in any way to the end user?

Should I strip back and go with just a simple straight forward screens of the site and stop being fancy with it. aka, get rid of the icon links to screens, use thumbs instead, ditch the slanted feature screenshot?

I’m just not sure if I’m trying to stylize something that should be simpler.

http://emberapp.com/gregmcausland/image … mp/sizes/o

Ultimately the point is to show of a few sites, but im concerned that the page isn’t as obvious and it could be to a non web industry client.

Cheers,
    Greg

# August 3, 2009 at 1:16 pm

first off, the design is great. i don’t think its too complex. as long as something happens when a user clicks on the big image, you should be fine with non-industry users.

# August 3, 2009 at 8:25 pm
    "chazzwick" wrote:
    first off, the design is great. i don’t think its too complex. as long as something happens when a user clicks on the big image, you should be fine with non-industry users.

Thanks chazz, that’s nail on the head the reassurance i needed :D

time to mark it up :)

edit:

This has been red bull inspired, but here’s the finished product. As a temporary measure I’m quite pleased all in all.
    http://www.thelittlephotoshop.co.uk/weeweb/

IE proofing it will have to wait for the morning :oops:

cheers

# August 4, 2009 at 2:30 am

I like it, simple but gets the job done.

I’d lower the opacity on the drop shadow under the screenshots though, looks a bit heavy.

# August 4, 2009 at 5:00 am
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    I like it, simple but gets the job done.

I’d lower the opacity on the drop shadow under the screenshots though, looks a bit heavy.

You’re absolutely right. I’m not sure what I was thinking when I put it under there, but I ended up just leaving it full on.

Ive taken it right back on the live version.

http://www.thelittlephotoshop.co.uk/weeweb/

# August 4, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Much better!

# August 6, 2009 at 1:10 am

Beautiful! I really don’t know how I would improve it! I love the nice and wide banners, but then again, I’m a sucker for simplistic design.

# August 6, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Thanks a lot MrBrightside, I really appreciate it :D

# August 10, 2009 at 12:04 am

I think I’ll add my voice to the "looks good" chorus. I like the way it’s laid out. It looks simple, without being simplistic, if that makes any sense. The angled pictures in the boxes look interesting, without being confusing. The only (minor) things I noticed were that, to me, the header seemed to fade into the background just a bit. Maybe a single pixel bottom border in a bit lighter shade? Second, the space to the right of the header looks a bit… empty, to my eyes at least. Have you considered putting anything, like maybe contact info (email, phone number, IM) maybe lined up with the right edge of the display boxes? Again, these are very minor things (they could very well just be my personal tastes), and overall the site is very visually clean and appealing, without being confusing. Great job!

# August 10, 2009 at 12:53 am

I like it too. I assume it’s for a design firm? Make sure you add, prominently, some contact details so people can contact you.

# August 10, 2009 at 6:41 am

Thanks for comments guys and while you are right this little page was kind of unique in it’s purpose.

Basically, I work for http://www.thelittlephotoshop.co.uk/ as many things, but primarily as a web guy. Building sites for clients is just a part of the business that we are only just starting to get rolling. We don’t have any proper sites in regards to this area of the business..

So, long story short.. we got a client in via word of mouth and they wanted to see a few sites to get an idea of what we were capable of. So my boss gets on the phone, tells me to put up a few sites for him to have a quick look at. And being myself I had to style it in at least a half decent way !

So ultimately it is a completely half arsed effort :lol: pretty much for a single client. Thats why the great lack of textual content, contact and so on. I am in the very near future going to have to put together a serious rendition of this, to support our web design work :)

I will be sure to post it once I get going on it! and thanks once again for your great comments.

ps, Check out the new layout I posted for thelittlephotoshoplive.co.uk in my other thread, that one is a fully fledged site and defiantly cannot miss everything it requires!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".