Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Question re: Degree and opportunities

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pretochines

Hi,
    I applied for a Computer Science degree in Web Services and Applications. I want to know if this is related or can give me a job working in a web site (web development and design). If not, what undergraduate degree do you recommend me or do you recommend me instead, continuing in this degree and when finished do a master or some kind of specialization on Web design and Web development?
    Thanks

chrisburton
    Participant

Well are you trying to get into design, development , or both?

pretochines

development most but i also like design. final answer development!

chrisburton
    Participant

With a Computer Science degree I think you’re more likely to land a job at a startup or larger tech company.

pretochines

What concentration do you recommend me? I choose Web services and applications but there are many other like Information Systems, Computer Games, Computer Applications etc…

Paulie_D

These are considerations for you alone.

What do you WANT to do.?

Taking advice for random people on the internet is really not the way to go.

chrisburton
    Participant

@pretochines Information Systems would probably be best if you plan to go into web development.

Update: Although you should look into what each course offers.

@Paulie_D
    I don’t think this question is irrelevant. I think he’s asking a question that a lot of people have. It isn’t about having someone else choose a career path as he already knows what he wants to do. However, this is probably a better question for his academic adviser.

pretochines

Thanks a lot for your help. Since I do not have an academic adviser and I am a international student from Angola that wants to study in Canada or USA, it is very important that people on the internet help me. Otherwise who should? I do not know anyone personally from USA or Canada and I do not have cellphone credits to be calling all the time to my university asking questions. Thanks again. I will consider the Information Systems option, but for now I think I am on the right path. Web Services and Applications or Information Systems. I will have to chose this carefully.

tayo

@pretochines It looks like you have a general idea of what you would like to do. I think what you should be doing right now while waiting for admission is to research the different areas you mentioned above.

You can even look on job boards, read job descriptions and get an idea of what is required for a particular type of role.

After you gain admission into a university, you will get an opportunity to speak with an academic advisor. Don’t be in a haste to finalize your major. You can even change majors during your first few semesters in college. The most important thing is that you understand your talents and abilities but most importantly what your passions are. Your passion will help you stick through challenges.

In the long run, only YOU can make the best (informed) decision about your career. Don’t be too anxious and goodluck :-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.