Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Question about Design view vs Code editor

• # January 26, 2013 at 10:37 pm

@dswift512

> Design vs geek mode

Which other code editor has a reasonably good design mode that also allows you to highlight the code on clicking the element? I’ve already explained that DW is not an option for home use – it’s too expensive for me as of now.

# January 26, 2013 at 10:41 pm

@rosspenman

Notepad++ has that – and it does help to an extent – but if the elements are not clearly defined , I still encounter the same problems, especially with huge pages. And I’m not sure how you guys do it when the html is located within php code.

# January 26, 2013 at 10:46 pm

@srig99

I’ll give ‘Brackets’ a try. Thanks. But I was really trying t understand how you guys manage – and the answer that I’ve got, so far, is that with practice , I’ll be able to read code better.

So I guess that is the answer. I’m not sure how that makes other editors better than DW though – if practice is what’s going to help with my work, I could have stuck even with notepad without syntax highlighting and autocomplete! Special features are supposed to make work faster, are they not?

# January 26, 2013 at 10:59 pm

the chrome developer tools are your friends!
    http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/workflow-tutorials/faster-htmlcss-workflow-with-chrome-developer-tools/

just right click on any element and “inspect”.

# January 27, 2013 at 12:41 am

All I can say is this. Just use what you comfortable working with. That’s all that matters. At the end, no one will ask you what tool you used to make the final product you delivered, but whether the product is of great quality or it sucks and didn’t meet customer expectations, that’s what will matter. After all, the tool is as good as the person using it.

# January 27, 2013 at 5:09 am

It is perfectly fine to use Dreamweaver.

I personally tried many editors and IDEs and I didn’t find a perfect one. I always wish I could be able to combine features from different editors/IDEs to make what would be perfect for me, albeit this is not possible. A compromise has to be made somewhere. The editor / IDE you choose should not be based on what is currently cool, but what serves you best at this time.

I would even go a step further and say that what is best for an experienced developer is less likely to be best for a new developer like yourself.

If using DW design view to find the code that you want to edit is an important feature for you then stick with DW. As you are getting more experienced it will become easier for you to find the code without a design view. At the same time you will start wishing that you had features that are not available in DW. Then it will be time to switch to something else.

# January 27, 2013 at 5:12 am

It’s not quite design view, but the navigator in Coda lets you see everything in your document and jump to it. In CSS, the list items even render with the CSS applied to them!

Coda screenshot
    Look at the sidebar on the right.

Coda is Mac-only, though.

# January 27, 2013 at 6:12 am

@Zoom

> It is perfectly fine to use Dreamweaver.

Except that I can’t afford Dreamweaver – I only use it on my office system. I’m looking for something reasonable for home use – if I have to take independent projects, I’ll need a good system at home. Notepad++ is alright for coding, but it’s a nightmare to jump to a specific code to edit something.

# January 27, 2013 at 6:13 am

@rosspenman

That looks fantastic, but I don’t have a Mac :-(

Has anyone used Mirabyte Web architect? It seems interesting, and I think I’ll be able to do what I’ve mentioned here. And at $70, it seems like a decent price too.

Edit: Kompozer seems to have it too. And it’s free!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".