Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Python v Ruby v PHP and Where to Learn It?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    siouxfan45
    Participant

With the exception of the occasional question along the lines of “Okay, what the heck did I do wrong or miss here!?” I’m rather fluent in HTML and CSS. I can build a site from the ground up, XHTML valid, in no time with no problem.

I’d now like to begin to learn real coding. But I know little about the various languages and which I should really learn. I’m sure I’m opening some debate here – but Python, Ruby, PHP… which is the most worthwhile? I’m also curious what experiences with the various teaching websites like code.org and teamtreehouse have been. Is there a preferred site if I want to move onto an advanced level?

__
    Participant

I’m heavy into PHP, and I’m learning Python (and I love it). I know people who love ruby, and I’m sure it’s great… but I just don’t.

I’m self-taught. I’ve looked at a few learning sites, but I have never found one that I’d be willing to pay for. pluralsight came closest.

nixnerd
    Participant

I code in some PHP but to be totally honest, I prefer Python. I would hit up LPTHW.

nixnerd
    Participant

Also, Python for me doubles as a scripting language that in many ways builds upon and improves BASH scripts. I couldn’t love it more.

__
    Participant

I would hit up LPTHW.

ooooo, ooo, yes. Forgot about that.

nixnerd
    Participant

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

If you do this course and you don’t like Python… you don’t really like programming. It’s such a pleasure.

chrisburton
    Participant

This discussion is great. I was just having a conversation on Python via Twitter regarding font development and Python being the go to programming language. I’ve always wanted to learn it as I hear it’s easier than PHP. I just wish more CMS’s and applications were written in Python.

__
    Participant

I’ve always wanted to learn it as I hear it’s easier than PHP.

Less surprises, to be sure. It reminds me of both PHP and JavaScript (both in good ways).

nixnerd
    Participant

@chrisburton… you should totally learn it. Again, Zed Shaw’s guide is awesome and a great way to get started.

The cool thing about Python is, you can be writing meaningful programs in a relatively short amount of time. Especially if you already have an idea and focus on the concepts that will get you to coding that idea.

Like I said before, Python is an EXCELLENT scripting language. With Python and a terminal, you can pretty much automate anything on your machine.

If you’re looking for a CMS, Django CMS seems good. It’s not going to be as robust as WordPress but WordPress has ALWAYS felt kind of “glued together” to me. After 5 years of messing around with it… I might have to ditch it. The fact is, I don’t care about themes or plugins. I just want a way to manage content.

Also, I think hosting is a bit harder to find for Python. Well, maybe not anymore but it was when I was first learning it.

The only advice I would give people is to first learn Python 2. Not Python 3. I say that because most of the great resources are written for Python 2 and people are still ACTIVELY developing in Python 2.

nixnerd
    Participant

I’m sure you’ve all seen this:

Alen
    Participant

If you go PHP, you will have many free or cheap resources to learn from. Since PHP is so popular market is very saturated. So there’s that.

I’m interested in building things so I try not to recreate the wheel, I almost always look at available “frameworks” I can learn from, to see how things are built no matter what language, then I dive into the language more. When I first encountered Ruby on Rails, I started with Ruby of Rails Tutorial by Michael Hartl, from there I started learning all kinds of things like Migrations, MVC, Design Patterns, SOLID, REST, Seeds, ORM, Object Oriented Programming, System Architecture, Asset Management, Build Scripts… blah blah I can go on. But the point is, no matter what language you choose, many of these principles apply… I’m not sure there is a “go to language” nowdays, so many great options out there.

Popularity and the clients “go to” is WordPress so it might be beneficial to start with PHP. But like I said learning any language will open up so much that learning other languages is just the matter of syntax memorization and few diff nuances.

Always, always check YouTube there are great introductions to variety of languages.

Laracast.com by Jeffrey Way is amazing resource as well, for Laravel framework built with PHP.

Don’t contemplate too much. Dive in and start reading. You will not be building the next Facebook (at least not likely any time soon). So apply bullshit filter to any review you read, comparing speed and other BS.

Anyways, bit of ranting… anyways good luck and remember to have fun. :)

And check YouTube seriously, for birds eye view of any language and roll with it.

http://bukk.it/in.gif

chrisburton
    Participant

If you’re looking for a CMS, Django CMS seems good. It’s not going to be as robust as WordPress but WordPress has ALWAYS felt kind of “glued together” to me. After 5 years of messing around with it… I might have to ditch it. The fact is, I don’t care about themes or plugins. I just want a way to manage content.

Thanks. I actually use Kirby and it’s the best CMS I’ve ever come across. I find the WordPress structure to be a bit bulky for my taste and trying to develop around it or integrate things are a hassle. Kirby is very light and integrating features like custom fields and custom post types are so easy it’s a joke. The only issue I’ve had is that it doesn’t come with a comment system (don’t even say the word Disqus, unless you mean ‘Disqusting’). I’m working on one now, though (with help from @traq, @thedoc and @alenabdula).

Also, I think hosting is a bit harder to find for Python. Well, maybe not anymore but it was when I was first learning it.

I use a VPS so that isn’t much of a problem for me. I have Python installed already.

nixnerd
    Participant

Kirby huh… I might have to give that a try.

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh and by the way, please keep me posted on the comment system.

nixnerd
    Participant

Is there any real downside to not having a database for a smaller site?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.