Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Python question: I need to make this code more DRY:

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I have an elif and an else that are repeated in this code. However, I can’t find another way to incorporate these without breaking my very simple program.

What do you guys suggest?

By the way… I’m aware this program does basically nothing at the moment. I just started it like an hour ago.

Thanks!

nixnerd
    Participant

I also have raw_input() way too many times.

__
    Participant

Apparently, elif/else is the preferred solution where other languages might use a switch statement. I don’t really like the way it looks, but I have to admit the reasoning is sound and it works the same way (which the exception of case fall-through, which is arguably more of a bug than a feature).

As for raw_input, I disagree: just because you have to do it in most cases doesn’t mean it’s not dry. The alternative is to put it into a function that does the same thing, but then you have to call that function repeatedly, so what have you accomplished? un-pythonic.

Another possibility would be

while running == True:

status = raw_input()

if clockedIn = False:
        # etc. ...

Obviously, the status doesn’t need to be updated when you stop, but would it hurt anything?

nixnerd
    Participant

Wait… Are you saying not to use if? What if I need a 3-way logical fork? Hmmm. I guess I could figure out another way.

__
    Participant

Wait… Are you saying not to use if?

umm… no

Sorry, I think we got mixed up somewhere. Given your situation, I would normally use a switch statement. Given the fact that python doesn’t have a switch statement, I would use if/elif/else (as you did). I was just pointing out that that appears to be the “correct” solution anyway.

If you’re talking about the raw_input question, I was asking if you could just leave out the status assignment in each case, since you already did it anyway (at the beginning of the while loop). Is there a reason for assigning it again?

Alen
    Participant

I’m not a Python developer. But found this, might be helpful: http://code.activestate.com/recipes/410692/

nixnerd
    Participant

I’m going to look at both of these more closely and see what I can do about this.

I just don’t like that it’s already 50 lines and barely does anything.

nixnerd
    Participant

I wrote this stupidly because I’m printing all the questions/prompts. I could just use raw_input(arg) and put the prompt where the arg is. Plus, I’m pretty sure I could use argv instead of raw_input. There are only 3 options, raw_input isn’t really the best idea here. It’s not like I’m going to perform some wizardry on whatever garbage string they give me. It’s either option 1, 2 or 3.

Poorly written. But… that’s what new git commits are for!

nixnerd
    Participant

Thought I’d share this with you gentlemen:

You’ve undoubtedly seen this but if you haven’t… you both know how to do math. I still find it interesting. Sometimes it’s good to spend time revamping your workflow… even if you have to write an app yourself.

__
    Participant

How about this? Just abstracted a few things.

__
    Participant

You’ve undoubtedly seen this…

Yes, indeed.

Have you seen this? Might help you understand your place in the world as you embark on learning this fine language

programmer hierarchy

nixnerd
    Participant

I’m going to download this and run it a few times. There was a problem that was bothering me so much last night and now I can’t think of it. I need to run it and feed it a bunch of stuff to remember.

Thanks @traq!

nixnerd
    Participant

Might help you understand your place in the world as you embark on learning this fine language.

HA HA HA HA! So true! Although… DAMN! I had no idea everyone thinks they’re superior to Java programmers. I mean, I learned Java in a CS class like everybody else in college and didn’t like it but… I have a little more respect for that language in particular.

Also… for me, C is the holy grail. When I can learn that, I’ll truly ‘feel’ like a real programmer.

nixnerd
    Participant

On a side note, I’m going to write everything for my BBB project in Python. It is literally the perfect choice for that project.

nixnerd
    Participant

To quote Zed Shaw:

“If you are reading this book and flipping out at every third sentence because you feel I’m insulting your intelligence… Go learn Lisp. I hear people who know everything really like Lisp.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.