Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Protecting my Noncommercial Website

• # December 7, 2011 at 2:11 am

Sorry if it does not fit the theme. Is there a way to keep the copyright, if a site owner just use a free domain name (like me). Because I know that plagiarism is very rife. And I was afraid if I will fall because some works are plagiarized/recognized by the more established sites.
    Do I really need to change the domain as soon as possible? But I still don’t have a reason for it. Whether I should postpone my ideas until the right time? Or how?

# December 7, 2011 at 2:21 am

Are you asking since you have a free domain, is your work protected from copyright infringement?

# December 7, 2011 at 2:26 am

Yes. I’m just a hobbyist who likes coding. I’m very worried if my works (such as CSS experiment) plagiarized by others. My friends told me to be careful in publishing my work.

# December 7, 2011 at 2:49 am

You can’t copyright CSS and having a domain has nothing to do with that.

# December 7, 2011 at 2:51 am

So, what would happen to me if plagiarism occurred?

# December 7, 2011 at 3:13 am

How can someone plagiarize CSS? Nor you or I own CSS therefore it is not subject to copyright infringement. However, your images are.

# December 7, 2011 at 3:40 am

As Christopher says, you can’t copyright CSS. You can copyright graphics, and you can copyright the overall look of a website – but not the code itself. Simply because you could never prove in a court of law that they actually copied you.

# December 7, 2011 at 3:58 am

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say you can technically also copy someones site via CSS and HTML however, their images and whatever programming languages they use are off limits. The person(s) whose site has been copied can claim trade dress. It is also highly, highly frowned upon in this industry. It will ultimately ruin you.

# December 7, 2011 at 1:03 pm

o·pen-source  [oh-puhn-sawrs, -sohrs] Show IPA – adjective

1. Computers . pertaining to or denoting software whose source code is available free of charge to the public to use, copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute.
    2. pertaining to or denoting a product or system whose origins, formula, design, etc., are freely accessible to the public.
    # December 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm

@standuncan That’s actually the best thing said in this discussion.

# December 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm

@ChristopherBurton, @Brightonmike, @standuncan: So nothing bad will happen because everything are may be having the same thing?
    How about adding the MIT and GPL licence? I’m not very familiar with those licenses. How can something be licensed to MIT and/or GPL?

# December 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Adding the license to what exactly?

# December 7, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Idea? The first? I don’t know >> I'm not very familiar with those licenses

# December 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I think we’re dabbling into random categories here. Find out what exactly it is you want to protect (not CSS or HTML) and let us know so we can help you further.

# December 7, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Maybe actually much simpler. Just about how I can get the trust when there are other people who modify my work without putting the author information. Whether the waiting time or just use the time published URL of the article can be the evidence that can be trusted?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".