Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Protecting my Noncommercial Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Taufik Nurrohman
    Participant

Sorry if it does not fit the theme. Is there a way to keep the copyright, if a site owner just use a free domain name (like me). Because I know that plagiarism is very rife. And I was afraid if I will fall because some works are plagiarized/recognized by the more established sites.
    Do I really need to change the domain as soon as possible? But I still don’t have a reason for it. Whether I should postpone my ideas until the right time? Or how?

chrisburton
    Participant

Are you asking since you have a free domain, is your work protected from copyright infringement?

chrisburton
    Participant

You can’t copyright CSS and having a domain has nothing to do with that.

chrisburton
    Participant

How can someone plagiarize CSS? Nor you or I own CSS therefore it is not subject to copyright infringement. However, your images are.

Brightonmike

As Christopher says, you can’t copyright CSS. You can copyright graphics, and you can copyright the overall look of a website – but not the code itself. Simply because you could never prove in a court of law that they actually copied you.

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say you can technically also copy someones site via CSS and HTML however, their images and whatever programming languages they use are off limits. The person(s) whose site has been copied can claim trade dress. It is also highly, highly frowned upon in this industry. It will ultimately ruin you.

standuncan

o·pen-source  [oh-puhn-sawrs, -sohrs] Show IPA – adjective

1. Computers . pertaining to or denoting software whose source code is available free of charge to the public to use, copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute.
    2. pertaining to or denoting a product or system whose origins, formula, design, etc., are freely accessible to the public.
    chrisburton
    Participant

@standuncan That’s actually the best thing said in this discussion.

chrisburton
    Participant

Adding the license to what exactly?

chrisburton
    Participant

I think we’re dabbling into random categories here. Find out what exactly it is you want to protect (not CSS or HTML) and let us know so we can help you further.

chrisburton
    Participant

If it is for a product you created, you can use a creative commons license. Perhaps it is more complicated than my knowledge.

Why don’t you research it more and let us know if you can protect things such as your CSS3 Train that you created.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.