Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Problem in IE – Really need help here

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MikeC

Hi Everyone,

I am really struggling with the menu on this site:
    http://www.iqbusinessexchange.com/

I am using Chris’ Magic Line which is working perfectly(except on IE5.5, IE6 and Opera).

The problem is that in IE(8 is the only version I have), the ‘current’ page menu item turns black. Everywhere in my CSS tells it to be #ccc(or #fff if it is the current item).

The strange thing is that the menu works pretty much as it should in: FireFox, Safari, Chrome, Opera(apart from the Magic Line)
    I also tested in IETester and it works fine in: IE6(apart form Magic Line), IE7, IE8 and IE Default(whatever that is)

It works with IE8 in ‘compatibility view’, but doesn’t work in normal view. Also the client is using IE 7 and it doesn’t work for them.

If anyone can shed any light on this for me I would really appreciate it!

I’m using WordPress 2.9.2 and my CSS file is here: http://www.iqbusinessexchange.com/wp-content/themes/iq/style.css

Thanks in advance!

TheDoc

Very odd indeed!

One thing, this may not solve your problem, but IE sometimes doesn’t like it when there is a space before the Doctype. Make sure the Doctype starts on line 1.

MikeC
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    Very odd indeed!

One thing, this may not solve your problem, but IE sometimes doesn’t like it when there is a space before the Doctype. Make sure the Doctype starts on line 1.

Thanks for your help TheDoc, I didn’t realise it wasn’t on line 1, I have corrected that now but it didn’t fix the problem.

I am on my laptop now and tried in IE8 on this and it has the same problem, so it’s definitely not a problem isolated to my PC.

I have tried adding ‘!important’ to all of the ‘color’ attributes but that hasn’t worked.

I really don’t understand this!
    Any more suggestions?

TheDoc

I’m honestly at a loss.

MikeC

Hi Rob, thanks for your input.

I have removed ‘#main-nav li.current_page_item’ and that doesn’t seem to make any difference, but as you say, no point having it there anyway if it’s not needed.

I tried adding ‘!important’ to the color but that didn’t do anything.

I also tried setting the background color of #navigation to #ff0000 just to see if the font was actually going black, and it still doesn’t appear, so it seems as if the text is for some reason going transparent. It is there though, because if you select it, then it highlights the text.

Also thanks for the tip on IE7 mode, I tried that and it worked perfectly… I am getting more and more confused by this…

MikeC

Brilliant, I didn’t know that was possible!

Ok with it forced into compatibility mode at least it works for now.

Any idea where I should start looking to get this sorted for real?

MikeC

I suppose you are right, it just feels like a bit of a cheat!

The website is pretty much finished now, what do you guys think of the design?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.