Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Preloading background images that are in an inline style

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bogus
    Participant

Hey all,

new problem ahead. I have a wordpress site in development which uses a fullscreen background image on each post. you can see the mockup here: [Tingeltangel](http://tingeltangel.megavillain.org/ “”)

The Fullscreen image is a fairly large image so it makes sense to show a preloader until its loaded. Now there are a lot of jquery and css preloader scripts out there which work fantastic, as long as the image is in an html img tag or defined in the css file. But since i have images put in dynamically by wordpress i am forced to use an inline style. In my case it looks like this:

if ( $image_src = wp_get_attachment_image_src( $thumbnail_id, ‘normal-bg’ ) )
    printf( ‘ style=”background-image: url(%s);”‘, $image_src[0] );}?>>

I tried to adapt the code of this [tutorial](http://jqueryfordesigners.com/image-loading/ “”) to match my case but to no avail. Is there a way to get this working right?

prasanthmj

Whether the image is in the HTML or not, what the browser checks is the URL of the image and see whether it is already loaded or not. Try using one of the tricks here (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/476679/preloading-images-with-jquery) loading all the background images one by one.

Taufik Nurrohman
    Participant

Maybe you need to set a fake attribute to store the background like this:

<div class="preload" id="main"<?php if ( $thumbnail_id = get_post_thumbnail_id() ) {
    if ( $image_src = wp_get_attachment_image_src( $thumbnail_id, 'normal-bg' ) )
    printf( ' data-background="background-image: url(%s);"', $image_src[0] );}?>>

Then, with JQuery you set a new `style` attribute with the value taken from `data-background` attribute value:

$('.preload').each(function() {
    $(this).attr('style', $(this).data('background'));
    });
    Taufik Nurrohman
    Participant

Oh, so you want a loading animation when the background is loading. Just add a new markup for the loading animation:

<div class='loading-bg'>
    <div style='background-image:...'></div>
    </div>
    .loading-bg {
    background:white url('loading.gif') no-repeat 50% 50%;
    }
    bogus
    Participant

Thanks for your replies guys!

@Hompimpa
    : mhhh it doesn’t seem to work. The images don’t show up any more when i change ‘style’ to ‘data-background’. Maybe WP don’t like messing with this output?

bogus
    Participant

I tried to direct another script to the style attribute but to no avail :(

Anybody got a clue what’s the problem here?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.