Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Portfolio Feedback Please :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    grimslayer
    Participant

Hey,

I have recently updated my portfolio and would like some feedback on what you think about the design. Not 100% sure I like the background image (not visible on mobile devices) but without it looks very bland.

Link: http://grimesdesigns.co.uk

Thanks in advance :)

Nocturnes1984
    Participant
    1. Use another font
    2. That contact menu…doesn’t look rly good…using a jpg to click on just to get in touch…not a great intro-card.

3. Looks too busy

Just my feedback…

serenade76
    Participant

My antivir. avast! alarm about a thread in your site…

Jerba
    Participant
    1. Use another font
    2. That contact menu…doesn’t look rly good…using a jpg to click on just to get in touch…not a great intro-card.
    3. Looks too busy

I would have to agree with you completely. Also and in no way is this a prejudicial remark or intended to be, however, I’m aware that Grimes is your surname (or I assume so), but some how I feel ‘grimesdesigns’ doesn’t connote particularly pleasant imagery… At least from my perspective and possibly for a customer/client perspective. Especially considering, and again I’m not suggesting this with an intent to insult, but the word ‘grime’ itself is generally defined in a negative manor.

grimslayer
    Participant

Thanks both for the feedback. I totally agree with the name thing. My parents run a family business which has been going since 1947 called grimes engravers and its been on the top of the agenda for a name change for their business so I do appreciate you brining this up.

The contact thing at the bottom was a quick thing I chucked together as a call to action as I thought it would stand out (not my best design decision)

But once again, thanks for the feedback!

Jerba
    Participant

Thanks both for the feedback. I totally agree with the name thing. My parents run a family business which has been going since 1947 called grimes engravers and its been on the top of the agenda for a name change for their business so I do appreciate you bringing this up.

The contact thing at the bottom was a quick thing I chucked together as a call to action as I thought it would stand out (not my best design decision)

But once again, thanks for the feedback!

No problem at all. Furthermore, as @Nocturnes1984 suggested; the site is a little too busy. I’ve recently, and am currently in the middle of building a personal website/portfolio and from the research I’ve done It seems to be that simplicity is on your side, I’ll try and find you a few articles I read on the subject and post them here for you to take a look at. But for now… Here’s the thread I posted the other day looking for critique on my design maybe some of the replies can be beneficial to you as well.

https://css-tricks.com/forums/topic/personal-website-design/

nixnerd
    Participant

This doesn’t look super cohesive to me. I think there is too much contrast between the dark blue and the white. Just my opinion. Then again, my design style is sort of to play with subtleties.

Ed
    Participant

I think you’re doing yourself a disservice with the header background image – the pencil has a chewed end (unpleasant to say the least!) and the Starbucks cup is empty. I understand the visual motif you want to achieve, but I don’t think that picture conveys it to the average person. I recommend you browse Startup Stock Photos and find something you like. This one is a much cleaner version of what you already have.

As said before, I echo the advice to use a different font. You’re selling yourself short here by using a font that looks like it’s been taken direct from an Office Word document. Have a look at the selection on Google Web Fonts. Knock yourself out.

I think your portfolio of work is quite strong, so good luck to you. :)

grimslayer
    Participant

Thanks all for the feedback, yea the photo was something I did quickly and it sort of looked okay but can see exactly where you are coming from. I will be updating the site soon with all the suggestions from everybody and will post a link for you all to look at.

Once again thanks all, I appreciate all your feedback!

Nocturnes1984
    Participant

Pininterest – Dribble, you name it…great inspiration source on there. Its not wrong to get inspired by other designers. Its all a process of learning and evolving!

mmcgu1966
    Participant

the CENTER html tag is sooo 20th century (depricated in other words).

I’m kinda torn on the testemonial.. I think the style should reflect what works in Australia and it’s hard to judge that from the US… However, I would make it look more like a newspaper comment than a marketting campaign logo… smaller italicized dark gray text

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.