Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Portfolio design, would love your feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sloveland
    Participant

I’ve been working on a redesign so I can begin applying for work: I’ve got a bit of experience but most of it is doing work for other companies, and so I don’t have much of an online presence that really shows my current level.

Designing for myself has been interesting, but hard… this is something like the sixth iteration of my site, and I am happiest with this so far. Any feedback before I jump right into SASS and start slicing?

Mockup screenshot: http://www.samuelloveland.com/files/projects/redesign032013/samuelloveland.jpg

Alen
    Participant

> working on a redesign so I can begin applying for work

In my opinion, you should make focused, resume-like website, if you are looking for work. Eliminating all obstacles between you and getting hired. Employer visiting your portfolio site is interested in figuring out if he/she wants you on their team. It’s highly unlikely they’ll be interested in your rants. Leave that for your personal blog, etc.

Also, don’t try to get clever with words. “Web Stuff” is very ambiguous. If this is indeed your portfolio, just call it what it is.

sloveland
    Participant

To be honest, I’ve had this blog longer than I’ve been a web developer. The content is there and established, most of it is about writing or as you said, rants… it’s very likely that if someone is looking me up, they’ll land on this site first anyway, so I decided to leverage that by including my “hirability info” here.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Designing for myself has been interesting, but hard…

You know what they say, “The hardest client you can ever have is yourself”. To be honest, it’s all about your employer. Most experience i have had (in the programming world) they don’t care if your site looks good, flashy, etc. they just want to see the level of your technical knowledge and personally if you are a good ‘fit’ for the company. The roles being reversed in web development, they do want to see what you can do, and what better way then displaying your knowledge on your website.

I would suggest making something you are truly proud of and something that screams inspiration and originality.

In my opinion, you should make focused, resume-like website.

Maybe times have changed but that’s what i thought you hand your employer when you go for your initial interview? I’m not disagreeing with you just curious as to your insight on that (having a resume website vs. hard copy resume).

…unlikely they’ll be interested in your rants. Leave that for your personal blog.

I would 100% agree with this!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.