Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Portfolio [Demo]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nathan2012

Hi guys, I am not sure if there is a specific section for this. But I was just wondering you could check out my portfolio and offer any suggestions/comments on anything you think could improve it if possible please? I have used WordPress and started with the Starkers theme (the original was static using XHTML 4.0).

Anyways thanks in advance guys!

http://www.ncwebcreative.co.uk

sloveland
    Participant

I like that the text is big and readable. The thing I would address first is alignment: Things like the contact page existing outside the header: I might try to find some way to get a sense for alignment all the way down the page, like another background for the content area or something.

The next thing I would think about (and somewhat related) is proximity – get some space between the major elements of the page, such as the content area and the header, or the bottom of the page. The text feels like it squishes up against things in places.

Good work, keep going!

apart
    Participant

You should match those 2 fonts u are using in the header. The one of your navigation and the one of your title/slogan are totaly different, that’s first thing I noticed.

nathan2012

Great thanks a bunch for the feedback :)

Contact page existing outside the header? Do you mean the small ‘Contacts’ text near the header? I think that was just the template I used was echoing out the page title but it should be corrected now :)

The space between the header and the content I tried to put as much space as I could using some padding from the header, would it be a good idea to use some margins to increase the space?

Thanks this has been really helpful. Sometimes you just need a fresh look from another perspective :)

nathan2012

Thanks Marko. I designed the header in photoshop and used that image rather than the same font as the navigation as I wanted it to look a bit different. More like a logo, but still have similar colour.

sloveland
    Participant

Margins would probably work; the rule with proximity is that it creates relevance. The closer things are together (by space or other aspects of visual separation), the more they are related. By this rule of thumb, the paragraphs in your content area should be closer to each other, but further apart from other major sections of the site (such as header or footer).

Right now your header is pretty close to the content area, and the content area is smooshed right up against the bottom of the browser. Margins, padding, etc, will help you accomplish this – but so will a solid or dotted line, or putting elements in different boxes, etc. Go for what works with the design idea you have, but I just recommend adding in more separation between major pieces.

nathan2012

Okay great :) is it possible to have your content area (I have used a div called page-wrap) scroll vertically so that it fills all your page even if your content does not? I have a background image I am using but it only scrolls as far as my paragraph text.

nathan2012

Never mind I figured it out. Had my page-wrap relative. Changed to absolute and adjust the top, left etc. and worked a treat :) Thanks Sloveland for all your help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.