Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Please review my re-designed site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi all,
    Just finished my new site and I was wondering if you could give me some feedback.

My site can be found here http://www.damianherrington.co.uk

Thanks
    Damian

TheDoc

Hmmmm…

There are some things that work, but a lot of it doesn’t.

1. Structure

If you’re going to use a 100% width fluid website, you have to prepare for people have wide monitors. I don’t want to see a huge gap down the middle of the page.

Suggestion: Used a fixed width (960px will work just fine).

2. Footer

Yikes. It looks very disorganized. Spacing and having things line up together is very important. Have a look around at some sites, including this one, to see how you can improve that. Also, get rid of the word "navigation". If you have to tell people it’s a nav, you haven’t done it right.

3. Portfolio

Why oh why would you squish your work like that? Get rid of the width/height declarations on your img tags.

4. About

Again, even the picture of yourself is squished; no good. Tobia Conforto and "Services" are colored differently, check your stylesheet.

It’s a better start than most will come on here with, but there’s still a lot of work to be done. You’ve done a half-decent job on the typography, but it needs some refinement. You’ll also want to look into color schemes, but most importantly, understand spacing between elements.

I would also consider revisiting your logo.

Hope this helps.

"TheDoc" wrote:
    Hmmmm…

There are some things that work, but a lot of it doesn’t.

1. Structure

If you’re going to use a 100% width fluid website, you have to prepare for people have wide monitors. I don’t want to see a huge gap down the middle of the page.

Suggestion: Used a fixed width (960px will work just fine).

2. Footer

Yikes. It looks very disorganized. Spacing and having things line up together is very important. Have a look around at some sites, including this one, to see how you can improve that. Also, get rid of the word "navigation". If you have to tell people it’s a nav, you haven’t done it right.

3. Portfolio

Why oh why would you squish your work like that? Get rid of the width/height declarations on your img tags.

4. About

Again, even the picture of yourself is squished; no good. Tobia Conforto and "Services" are colored differently, check your stylesheet.

It’s a better start than most will come on here with, but there’s still a lot of work to be done. You’ve done a half-decent job on the typography, but it needs some refinement. You’ll also want to look into color schemes, but most importantly, understand spacing between elements.

I would also consider revisiting your logo.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the critique, yes I have over looked the fixed/fluid layout on wider browsers which will be sorted. One thing though, you said "Also, get rid of the word "navigation". If you have to tell people it’s a nav, you haven’t done it right." Just take a look at the bottom of this page in Chris’s footer???!

TheDoc
    Quote:
    If you have to tell people it’s a nav, you haven’t done it right." Just take a look at the bottom of this page in Chris’s footer???!

Just because Chris does it doesn’t mean I have to agree with it, although in his defense it certainly does work for his footer.

Because he has so many other types of links, it’s almost necessary for him to properly differentiate between them.

With yours, on the other hand, no one is going to confuse what "Home, About, Folio, Contact" means.

Matt

As taken from A list apart:

"Realign, don’t redesign"

Usability before design. If it takes longer to read text, but looks aesthetically better, than in my eyes, it has failed it’s purpose. If the content feels better in the centre and tends itself to be wider, than sobeit. Whilst you shouldn’t let go of great artwork, you also shouldn’t let go of usability in the process. Usability, Accessibility, and Readability are the foundation for any great webseite.

Well said! :)

Okay the site looks nice, but I would change the fact that there is an iMac on the homepage, although it is a nice idea it makes me feel as if you are a Mac-fanboy – something you don’t want your potential clients thinking. Also I would change the size of the buttons on the homepage to make them smaller and less bulky.

Apart from that I like the site’s design.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.