Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Placement/Intership advice!

• # July 14, 2011 at 7:11 am

Hi all,

I am currently doing a degree in Interactive Media @ Bournemouth Uni(England) and as part of my degree I am required to go on a 4 week professional placement/internship at the end of my second year. The aim is observe, contribute and generally learn from professionals in an office/agency enviornment.

I had an interview with a big marketing agency yesterday and I got offered a role as a front-end developer in the digital department as part of my placement and I’m a bit worried as to what is exactly expected of me.

I have worked freelance on a number of projects throughout the two years I’ve been at university and consider my self to be junior with regards to front end development. I would really like to pursue it as a career so I think it’s vital that I make the best impression possible.

I guess my question is; Is there any tips, tricks or just general advice that you could give me? What are the sort of qualities that employers/colleagues value in such an environment?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

PS:

CSS TRICKS ROCKS! :-)

Antonio.

# July 14, 2011 at 9:16 am

Make sure you actually learn something. Show initiative, and accept all the feedback you get. don’t just follow briefings like a sheep. Be creative and have arguments why you did something.

And just be a nice guy in general :D

# July 14, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Great, thanks for your advice Abel! :-)

# July 14, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Small world! I was born in Bournemouth and lived there for 18 years :D

My advice would be to grab the opportunity with both hands. Make a good impression, ask questions, seek feedback, but also show that you can work on your own and have the drive to get your work done on time and to a high standard. You never know, they may offer you freelance work in your final year if you impress.

My placement was a year long, without it I would never have got the job I’m in. I impressed them and was offered part time work in my final year then a full-time contract when I graduated (which I turned down). It’s a competitive world out here, so make sure you give them many reasons to want to see more of you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".