Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End PHP Postcode Search

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    karl_

I am in the middle of a project for a client and they have asked if it is possible for a postcode search facility very similar to the one on this site: Oven Cleaning UK where the user inputs the first half of their postcode and a page will appear with a franchise/store in their given area.

I have been trying to learn PHP for a while now and only really know the basics. I managed to find hopefully something similar to what they are after on this site: HM2K.com ยป How to search by nearest UK postcode in PHP but am not sure how to implement.

Can anyone shed any light on how to go about this? I have tried to import the Postcode CSV into phpMyAdmin but had no look either.

Cheers

This is something I’ve never had to do. I always assumed you had to use the expensive Royal Mail PAF or sub-contract to another company that does. Whilst working for a company that was interested in doing postcode analysis on their customer database I went to a seminar at Pitney-Bowes. Their products, which are excellent but very pricey, make doing this sort of stuff relatively easy.

I would have thought Google Maps might be worth investigating as a possibility since they have postcode search and a very good API.

I also found this script which contains both a PHP file which you upload to your server and a SQL file which you upload through phpMyAdmin. Select the database, choose Import then select the file postcodedata.sql and click Go.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.