I have worked on Perl but recently I am learning PHP.Every one is mentioning about php so thought to learn that.But I want to know something,what are the advantages of php over perl.Am I loosing anything If I go for Perl rather than PHP.Anyone there who can suggest me.
If you’re proficient in perl, then you can certainly use it to design websites. Functionally, I’m not sure there are any benefits of one over the other. However, one reason to learn php: it’s a wide open market with a very bright future. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, and pretty much most CMS’s use php. As a marketable skill, php is huge.
When I think of perl, I think of scientific applications (which is the only area I’ve used it). When I think of php, I think web design. But that’s just me.
As a PHP developer, this is an easy question with maybe a slightly biased upcoming answer 8-)
PHP Benefits over Perl
- Perl is about to retire, its an old language, PHP is hardly new, but it is at its prime and is currently the most popular choice of web based programming language.
- Larger Community, which means faster bug reports (and hopefully fixes), more help available when your stuck, more open source tools and frameworks.
- Although syntax’s aren’t a million miles apart, PHP is certainly cleaner.
- PHP can do pretty much anything, I don’t know exactly what Perl can and can’t do but I’m pretty confident PHP can do almost everything computer related. PHP also has 2 repositories (as such) of pre written tools, built by the PHP team which provides some wildly complicated functionality available using simple OOP.
- The PHP documentation and resources available online completely rocks
- I don’t know of you work in the industry or plan to, but as far as work goes, there is going to be a lot more PHP related and probably always will be (not to say another language will not become more popular then PHP)