Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Photoshop or Illustrator?

• # December 10, 2008 at 10:40 am

Which do you use, prefer and why?

I prefer Photoshop mainly because I’ve used it longest and learned it in school. I dont use it for anything Vector though. Straight pixel. Am I the only one? :<

# December 10, 2008 at 12:33 pm

You are absolutely not the only one.

I have both Illustrator and Photoshop and I would be surprised if I’ve opened Illustrator 5 times since I’ve bought it. I do everything in Photoshop.

Like you I use Photoshop exclusively because it’s what I’m most comfortable with, I need to learn Illustrator just because it’s helpful to have the extra tools at your disposal.

Rob
    # December 10, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Illustrator is excelent, I use photshop and illustrator now interchangably, although because of the nature of my line of work I had done alot more work on Illustrator (until about a year ago)

The vector tools in Illustrator are alot better than in Photoshop, but Photoshop offers more painty style options. I still find it easyer to make web 2.0 buttons and the like in Illustrator than in photoshop, but I suppose thats because illustrator was my thing.

A lot of photoshop users would be very supprised to know that a supprising amount of photshop effects can be created in illustrator, and the best thing about illustrator is because of its vector base – you can resize everything to any size you want without loosing quality (unless you have a rasterized image in there of course…)

These days when designing I find it useful if I am creating more vector stuff (things like logos work really well in illustrator) and then bring them in to photoshop if they need that final pollish (which they normally dont! :s)

# December 10, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Thanks for your inputs..

Can’t you just use the vector option for objects in PS though? I don’t. If I’m drawing a box, I draw a box, then use Transform if I need to change its size. Something like that obviously won’t lose quality.. how can it, its a box. But I know PS does offer some vector options. I’m assuming they’re just greater in Illustrator, plus it’s probably awesome for print.

Rob
    # December 11, 2008 at 4:16 am
    "milehighdesigner" wrote:
    Thanks for your inputs..

Can’t you just use the vector option for objects in PS though? I don’t. If I’m drawing a box, I draw a box, then use Transform if I need to change its size. Something like that obviously won’t lose quality.. how can it, its a box. But I know PS does offer some vector options. I’m assuming they’re just greater in Illustrator, plus it’s probably awesome for print.

The vector options in PS are so much more limited than in IL. For example I created this image in about 20mins while messing around with logo ideas for a community I am involved in…

[img]http://www.svgonline.co.uk/images/jserverTF2.png[/img]

its completly rescaleable and wont loose any quality, I could scale it as to the largest print size possible and it would be pin sharp. And yes for print this means its awesome. But its greatness shouldnt be lost to PS, it does so much more with vector than PS can. But I suppose they had to limit photoshop otherwise you wouldnt buy Illustrator… :)

# December 11, 2008 at 8:55 am

When CS4 came out, for the first time, I only got Photoshop instead of the whole suite. 90% of the time I use Photoshop. While I also love Illustrator, it’s just not that important to me to have the latest greatest.

Fireworks is supposedly like a "best of both worlds" program, with photo manipulation and great object-like vector controls, but I have yet to give it the ol’ college try.

Rob
    # December 11, 2008 at 8:57 am

I use fireworks – but never for what its probably supposedly designed for. I use it 100% for slicing images, its such a good little slicer :D

# December 11, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Fireworks seems to be a "do it for you" program from what I’ve read. I’ll have to download the trial sometime and check it out. Retail is only 300 bucks for it, versus 700 for PS. How well does the csshtml come out from it? I’d imagine it’s not perfectly how you want it. That’s what I love about doing everything from scratch. I have complete control of every single aspect of what I’m trying to accomplish.

I’d like to know your thoughts on Fireworks Robski… Also, I love TF2 ;P I don’t play it anymore, but I used to be crazy about the original TF for Quake 1… Many a hours doing clan matches. ;) This was of course before responsibility came into my life.

Rob
    # December 12, 2008 at 5:07 am
    "milehighdesigner" wrote:
    Fireworks seems to be a "do it for you" program from what I’ve read. I’ll have to download the trial sometime and check it out. Retail is only 300 bucks for it, versus 700 for PS. How well does the csshtml come out from it? I’d imagine it’s not perfectly how you want it. That’s what I love about doing everything from scratch. I have complete control of every single aspect of what I’m trying to accomplish.

I’d like to know your thoughts on Fireworks Robski… Also, I love TF2 ;P I don’t play it anymore, but I used to be crazy about the original TF for Quake 1… Many a hours doing clan matches. ;) This was of course before responsibility came into my life.

Well I dont actually use it for Code or the other options it has like making menus and hotspots etc… I just use it simply for slicing up my site designs. I find it so much easyer to make the slices with than anything else :) Its also a nice lightweight editor, so if you need to extend a pixel, you can just do it quickly in Fireworks.

I would never use it for code though, I let my fingers do the talkin there :D

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".