Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Personal Website Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jerba
    Participant

I’m currently working on a personal website, I quickly threw one together earlier and am now looking for some feedback. I personally feel it’s missing something, however, I was trying to maintain a certain level of simplicity throughout.

Any feedback is very much appreciated, also I don’t yet have a live version of the site so try and take what you can from the image below. Thank you.

Here’s another variant…

…and another

chrisburton
    Participant

I really like the center photo example but with some changes. I would try putting your name under the navigation where there is a large empty space. I would also try a heavier weight for the typeface. Also, do you think “Creative Individual” is necessary?

__
    Participant

do you think “Creative Individual” is necessary?

I kinda like it. It conveys a bit of personality. Whether to keep it or not depends on the impression the OP wants to make, I think.

I like #3.

I would probably like #2, but the position of the coffee mug makes the scene seem …unbalanced, somehow.

And you should probably decide whether your name is “Alexander” or “Jonathon.”

chrisburton
    Participant

I kinda like it. It conveys a bit of personality.

“Designer”, in a way, already characterizes that, in my opinion.

I would probably like #2, but the position of the coffee mug makes the scene seem …unbalanced, somehow.

Agree. Putting the name directly under the nav might help with this. I also don’t really care for the slightly transparent bar.

Jerba
    Participant

Thank you for the feedback.

(I’m not particularly sure how to quote snippets from your replies)
    However, I re-positioned the text and positioned it under the navigation and honestly I’m pleasantly surprised with the result and intend to keep it. Thanks.

+ It has just occurred to me that positioning the name/subtext under the navigation may look a little unsightly when I come to do the drop down menus (especially if I do them how I initially intended to(transparent)).

http://imgur.com/qpdxsmA

Also, on the subject of the ‘Creative Individual’ initially it was there just to fill space, although, I can see how it could be a little cheesy even though I would like to think of myself being a creative individual.

@__

I also prefer #3, and completely agree with you on the mug being too predominantly placed and the names I used were just random ‘stock names’ so to speak as I was testing different fonts with different length names as I have a relatively short name…

Nocturnes1984
    Participant

Can i ask what font that is?

chrisburton
    Participant

I re-positioned the text and positioned it under the navigation and honestly I’m pleasantly surprised with the result and intend to keep it.

I was talking about doing this for #2. With #3, it looks out of place, especially with the transparent bar.

Can i ask what font that is? – @Nocturnes1984

Appears to be Lato (Ultralight)

Nocturnes1984
    Participant

@chrisburton Thank you kind sir!

__
    Participant

I do not like #3 (laptop) after you align the text right. It was much better centered (and lower).

(I’m not particularly sure how to quote snippets from your replies)

<blockquote>this text will be quoted</blockquote>

>so will this
    and this

but not this

serenade76
    Participant

missing nothing, the third one is the best!

Morgan
    Participant

I really like #1 and #3. If I had to choose one, #3 would be my favourite. The use of sepia tone gives off a warm, inviting and professional feeling.

I preferred the #3 design where the text was in the centre of the screen instead of on the right.

I’d love to give you more feedback, but it’s quite hard to do so without a link to the website itself.

rlacroze
    Participant

@Jerba I really like the look of your #1 and #3. I’m brand new to html/css with no prior knowledge in coding. I used codeacademy to learn. In fact, I’m studying finance in college. Anyway, my point is I’d like to make my own webpage resume as aesthetically pleasing as yours. May you please send me the code for the two examples I mentioned above. I want to work on the content to tailor it to my own style. Please reply at your earliest convenience.

rlacroze
    Participant

Ok thanks for the tip! But now, could you tell me how you got your name too be the way it is. To be more specific, it seems to be in a transparent rectangular box.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.