Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Personal preference for floating two columns?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jlizarraga

Say you have a 1000px wide container, and inside there are two DIVs that will be floated and act as columns. Let’s say that the first column is 400px wide, and the second is 600px wide.

When you float these columns, do you float them 1) both left, 2) both right, or 3) the first left and the second right?

I know that #2 isn’t really a valid option, but I put it there for completeness. :)

Personally, I always float them both to the left, but I’ve noticed that most designers and developers I work with will float the second column to the right. There’s no difference as far as the rendering and document flow is concerned, but I was curious to see what other CSS users had to say.

TheDoc

I will generally float one to the left and the other to right.

I actually just had this conundrum about 10min ago when I was converting an HTML template into WordPress. I had two divs, one left one right, but had to change them to both to float left and apply the same class to them to make it work as posts in WP. That was a horrible sentence…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.