Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Password Protect WordPress on Staging site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Gross
    Participant

I use a pretty standard workflow – dev local, push to staging for client review/approval and then push to production.

I like to password protect the staging site.

I’m currently using htaccess to password protect the stage site. However, I’d like to keep the htaccess file in version control but I can’t have the same htaccess on the production server.

I thought about and <if statement but that’s not available on the version of apache my server (media temple – gs) uses.

Any recommendations? How do you peeps manage this?

Perhaps use a plugin?

Nathan Gross
    Participant

That link is essentially what I am using now. However in order for it to work, you modify the .htaccess code. Since I’m only using .htaccess/.htpasswd on the staging site, that wont work for keeping .htaccess in version control.

I’m leaning toward not using .htaccess for the security, and just using a WordPress plugin.

Nathan Gross
    Participant

Do you guys keep your .htaccess outside of your version control system then?

Nathan Gross
    Participant

Most of my sites use a bit more than just the standard wp permalink stuff—like h5bp stuff, or I may be redirecting some old links from a client’s old site, etc.

Anyway, how can I have the password stuff in version control but only use it for 1 of the sites?

As mentioned earlier, the version of Apache that my server uses won’t allow if statements.

How do you avoid this?

Nathan Gross
    Participant

Sorry, i didn’t see your follow up post.

It appears Apache 2.4 could solve this for me, but (mt) isn’t using that on their grid server.

Alen
    Participant
    Nathan Gross
    Participant

Thanks John! For now I’m using Password Protected.

John
    Participant

@Nathan
    That one looks pretty good, and allows easy access. The one I posted, you kinda have to go through a few more hoops. You use to be able to add an IP, then they would get full access, but now that’s in the paid version.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.