Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Password protect directory (custom login)?

• # May 3, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Hi,

I recently came across the following code snippet for password protecting site directories. I’m curious though if anyone can suggest a method for customizing the login screen…essentially a login form within the html page.

If you have a more efficient way to approach this…I’m all ears. Thank you!

**Code Snippet:** http://css-tricks.com/snippets/htaccess/password-protect-folders/

# May 4, 2013 at 6:18 am

As far as I’m aware, most browsers don’t provide a “login screen” – simply a dialogue box. How are you imagining customising it? Do you want users to be taken to a different page first to authenticate?

# May 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Pretty much…essentialy im looking to make the login area on a designated page…independent of the standard browser login. Similar to the way wordpress admin login is

# May 5, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Then I suspect htaccess is not the solution. Look instead towards using a database to manage authentication. It’s not a complicated process, but will require you to read around the subject a little bit.

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen many good tutorials on session management. Most of them oversimplify the process for illustration, resulting in insecure systems. My advice would be to look at the source code of a few open source projects that include login systems to see how they handle it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".