Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Opinion: Can we improve the efficiency of comma separated multiple selector targeting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Can we improve the performance of CSS by changing the way in which we’d target multiple selectors?

Example: Say we have a few tags nested inside a class which we want to have share certain properties.

.someClass h2, .someClass p, .someClass .subClass { margin: 0 0 1em; }

Rather than writing the .someClass part multiple times and bloating our code, wouldn’t it be easier to simply state .someclass [h2, p, .subClass] { margin: 0 0 1em; } or similar?

Any thoughts? I’m just trying to fill up a slow morning…

I read something about that a while back. It’s possible that they may be working on that for the next major update.

Senff
    Participant

<< Rather than writing the .someClass part multiple times and bloating our code, wouldn't it be easier to simply state .someclass [h2, p, .subClass] { margin: 0 0 1em; } or similar? >>

I can’t remember where I read this, but this type of format was already addressed by someone/some tool. SASS? Less? Can’t recall at the moment, but indeed it would be nice if this would be included in the CSS format.

Paulie_D

SASS/Compass will enable you to DEVELOP with that sort of syntax but it will still compile it into standard CSS and that’s what the browser reads. (AFAIK)

CSS variables are on their way which will help shrink CSS files but until then…..

Senff
    Participant

@Paulie_D: Correct, of course! But I always see SASS as “something that will, eventually, be possible in CSS”. Maybe too hopeful or wishful thinking, but still!

For the record, the SASS syntax would be:

.someclass {
    h2, p, .subclass {
    margin:10px;
    }
    }

And after compilation it would be:

.someclass h2, .someclass p, .someclass .subclass {
    margin: 10px;
    }

But, in a few years from now that first piece of code may be enough in standard CSS.

Paulie_D

I like

.someclass {
    h2, p, .subclass {
    margin:$margin;
    }
    }

even better :)

TheDoc

The second I read the problem I was hoping I wouldn’t have to scroll far before somebody mentioned SASS/SCSS.

Senff
    Participant

@TheDoc: because…..? :)

TheDoc

BECAUSE IT’S SO AWESOME! :)

Senff
    Participant

Doh. I thought you meant it in a way of “I was hoping that the first mention of SASS would be very, very late in the discussion because it is not relevant“. Or maybe you just forgot to add “n’t” after “would“. Eh.

;)

TheDoc

Fixed. haha

Senff
    Participant

Well that clears it up! Ha

I found what I had earlier read: http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/05/moz-any-selector-grouping/

Pretty awesome if that takes off across all browsers!

Senff
    Participant

@joshuanhibbert: that’s exactly the article what I was referring to in my earlier post!

Dhanishta

I have read about that previously. I think It’s possible that they will work to modify and it is possible to improve the efficiency of comma separated multiple selectors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.