Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End online – offline sync

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rohithzr
    Participant

pardon me if the title does not matches!

I have developed an WEB based APP on PHP – MySQL for the cable operators to maintain their books of records online and calculate easily which is actually done manually (about 60%).

What i wanted is to design an offline application (or implement the same website offline) to the customers which can sync data to the online database whenever wanted by the user.

Example: Github windows app (I just love it)

the thing is i don’t know how to achieve it at all !!! Hoping for some help! Thanks

Billy
    Participant

You could set it up so that it creates a local Apache server when offline which would run PHP and MySQL, so that you can use the exact same app both online and offline.

You would then need to sync both the local and online databases.

I can’t explain any more than that though; it’s just an idea.

Rohithzr
    Participant

@cyneWATCH thanks for replying, Well basically that is one of the two ideas.

I do not know how to sync my offline data to online database and vice versa.

Billy
    Participant

How about first attempting to UPDATE the online version with the offline version. Then, what doesn’t UPDATE can be INSERTed. This would work in both directions.

Rohithzr
    Participant

actually i cannot do that manually, it is a book keeping kind of software that will be used by potentially 1000+ clients from all over india

Billy
    Participant

What I meant was that when a client goes online, the database looks for something that says what they have changed whilst offline. When it finds that information, the app then sends those changes to their places in the online database. The same thing would then happen from online to offline.

You could do this with some kind of XML file or maybe in a database table with one row per client, which contains the information as to what has been updated.

This technique would sort of be like git or svn, but not as complex. It remembers which values have been changed, but not the new or old values.

Rohithzr
    Participant

@cyneWATCH i think that might work and i will try it. Thank You

saeed55sd

hi, using PHP for offline apps is not common, you can try other languages for windows and mac applications and for sync data you can provide services for your desktop apps from your main web application which is published online.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.