Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Offering responsive web design to clients

• # January 14, 2013 at 1:49 pm

No one can tell you how to run your business – my view is that my time is chargeable. If doing a responsive site is going to take me more time (which it is) then the cost to the client will be higher.

# January 14, 2013 at 2:34 pm

The way I view it is some people don’t have the know how in making a responsive web design/development so might as well charge extra because you have the knowledge you know?

# January 14, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Yes & no regarding the hourly vs fixed price. It totally depends on the client.

Sure hours factor in to any development project, but we charge on a value basis rather than on a set number of hours so responsive design doesn’t necessarily have an impact on pricing.

# January 20, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Responsive design has come about due to the current landscape of web accessible devices. Once we had had desktops, now there are a plethora of devices that can access out content each with their own display type.

Back in 1974 houses in my home town were built exactly the same way they were built everywhere else in Australia. On Christmas day that year a devastating cyclone swept through and destroyed most of those houses. After that day people realised that to survive in this landscape the way houses were built had to change drastically. All of sudden houses required more planning, deeper foundations, architects had to spend more time on ensuring structural integrity would be maintained in the various conditions… and all of this ensured that the cost of building a house went up along with it.

The builders were still building houses, but the houses were just built better. It was a new standard of building houses that didn’t exist before.

It’s up to everyone how they charge for the services they provide. Someone said to me a long time ago “You’ll never make any money charging what it costs you to do something, charge what it’s worth to your client”.

# January 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm

No. Everything that makes a website great should be the complete and basic package. design,responsive,easy to use should be by default the characteristics of the website. Your not going to build them a crappy website because they aren’t paying you extra are you?

# October 17, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Every website needs to be responsive today and we, as designers, shouldn’t even consider delivering a non-responsive website. If you are charging by hour, make a simpler version of the website if the client won’t pay your final price, but always responsive. I prefer to charge by project. Our job is to show the clients why they need a responsive (and future proof) website today. By the end of this year, the number of mobile-connected devices will exceed the number of people on earth.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".