Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Off topic: Question about Malware

• # April 23, 2013 at 8:52 am

A site that I’m working on shows an Error : “Malware Detected…Warning: Something’s Not Right Here!”.

Is this a server error? (meaning, has the server been infected”?)

I had recently removed a hotlink message from a js file which was causing a pop up error to appear (it was because the js file was being called from someone else’s server, just had to save it on our server and update the path) : that fixed the hotlink issue but the above error persists, on chrome.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? How should I go about rectifying this?

# April 23, 2013 at 8:54 am

My guess is that there is something in that JS file that Google/Chrome doesn’t like.

Usually, the warning is a little more descriptive though.

# April 23, 2013 at 8:58 am

@Paulie

I don’t see anything suspicious. It’s an easing script. There was a hotlink portion which I deleted, but the problem’s still there. (the hotlink message’s gone though)

If you were to come across this problem, how would you approach it?

Edit : Ah, I think the server might be infected. The message says that its pulling data from another server which might contain malware.

# April 23, 2013 at 9:00 am

>I don’t see anything suspicious.

Perhaps not but Google might have a different opinion.

Is Chrome telling you that it’s this specific script?

# April 23, 2013 at 9:04 am

> Is Chrome telling you that it’s this specific script?

No. I think it’s probably the server that’s infected. I was under the impression that the hotlink and the malware error might be connected, since both happened/were noticed at almost the same time. Guess I’ll speak to my sup regarding the same.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".