Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Notepad

• # August 26, 2008 at 1:30 pm

I use Notepad to edit HTML and CSS code all the time, why does the code below display this way:

Code:
    #nav, #nav ul {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;

list-style-type: none;
    list-style-position: outside;

position: relative; line-height: 1.5em;
    }

when I try to print it or copy it into this forum?

The code is displayed in my CSS file as :

Code:
    #nav, #nav ul {margin: 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none; list-style-position: outside;
    position: relative; line-height: 1.5em;}

What is going on with Notepad? Obviously it does not work the way I want it to.

Al

# August 26, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Im not sure why notepad does that. I use Notepad ++, which is amazing. It has syntax highlighting for loads of languages, tabbed browsing, and best of all is free. You really should upgrade

# August 27, 2008 at 12:29 am

i use programmers notepad. I really like it

box
    # August 27, 2008 at 5:09 am

Might have something to do with whether you have page-wrap turned on in Notepad. I’d recommend upgrading your text editor anyway, Notepad isn’t the most efficient tool for writing code – at the very least I think you’ll enjoy syntax highlighting and is a must for more complex web pages. I personally use TextMate – but I gather you’re on Windows, so you could look at e-texteditor, or as others have suggested Notepad++ etc. There on many editors out there, some free, some a small cost and I’m sure you’ll find something that you’ll wonder how you ever lived without ;)

# August 27, 2008 at 9:37 pm

here’s an example of what I am getting using Notepad on my one pc.

notice the little 0’s on various lines in the code, from the CSS Tricks
    dropdown menu article.

tried editing the code with Notepad++ and it removes most of them.

Al

[attachment=0]notepad.jpg[/attachment]

box
    # August 28, 2008 at 4:01 am

Notepad is a basic text editor, so does not interpret the formatting used in other applications – so it just writes in the machine code. You may be able to paste the code into word pad or word and see if there’s an option to remove formatting?
    I still don’t understand why you’re using notepad for web development, it’s like trying to dig a tunnel with chopsticks!

# August 28, 2008 at 3:04 pm

I have just downloaded notepadd++. I think i am going to like it. It supports ftp wich is really nice. I think some people use notepad because they want to say that they designed the page without any help at all. With nothing more than the most basic tool in the universe.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".