Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other New WordPress Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Techguy172

Hi Guys,

I’m working on a WordPress Design that is to go for sale once I’m done. I’m looking for feedback on my work, perhaps tweeks and adjustments I can make. http://karbondesigns.com/Wordpress

Cheers, Joel

Matt

1. Line up the Logo and the Search box. Doesn’t improve usability, but it’s more aesthetically pleasing. (Let me inject my noobiness margin-top: -38px; on the search box)
    2. Drop your logo down some. It’s bumping the top in Fx for me. (More noobiness w/ margin-top: 20px;)
    3. Raise your Nav links into your header bar. Again, aesthetically pleasing.

Other than that, I’d say it’s ok.

Techguy172

Lined up the Search box. However the idea of the Navigation was to sit on the bottom. That was a big part of my design. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I’m also looking for a good place to sell it. I tried selling others on Sitepoint Marketplace but It’s very slow there and not many people are buying.

Matt

Maybe you could add a bevel to the buttons along with either a drop-shadow or a black Gaussian blur of the button underneath to give it some depth. It gives more of a definite location of the buttons to the eye.

Techguy172

Would any of you guys recommend selling it on Themeforest? Do you think it’s good enough and will sell? Please be honest.

Techguy172
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    It isn’t ready for Themeforest yet. You need to rethink some of the padding on your content (twitter box and footer need more, for example).

The slideshow thinger looks like ads, not work examples (or whatever they should be).

Ads on both sidebars? No.

Footer needs a complete rework. Remember, if you’re trying to seel this, make it look like a fully functional site. For example, having "Ads" where an ad would be doesn’t cut it. Same thing with the footer. Do you really think people want FOUR columns of links?

Clicking on a few more links, the lack of padding becomes even more apparent.

Overall, it lacks impact, uniqueness, proper padding, etc etc.

What category would you be wanting to submit this to? All it really looks like it has to offer is a blog ability. No portfolio section, no contact area, no general services page, etc etc. Really think about what people want to purchase.

Also, you may want to reconsider the color scheme you’ve got going (and definitely get rid of that red on the logo). I would make the nav buttons white, not sure why they are grey like that.

This is longer than I had planned. Rework it, come back for round two.

Thanks for being honest, I really appreciate this! Ok, give me a week or so. At this point I’m going back to the drawing board, and I’m going to totally redesign it. So until my next post please do not judge it.

Ok, so I’ll be back in about a weeks time to represent my work. Again thanks a lot Doc!

Techguy172

Ok,

I’m back with a Complete redesign. I went back to the drawing board and did something new. Tell me what you think of this design. I think I have done a pretty good job this time. Don’t judge the content just yet because I’m in the Process of creating a downloads page for this site.

Cheers, Joel

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I dont think I caught the first version :)

Anyway – this one, it starts off ok, the background is nice I like the vista/windows 7 look.

Now please dont take offence :D

Issues – its just sloppy. Your search button and your search bar are not lined up, your strange little background image looks like its not being fully displayed…

http://karbondesigns.com/Wordpress/wp-c … chives.jpg

basically it lacks a lot of detail.

Code wise I would recomend learning to use positioning. You have positioned your search bar for example with margin – where a little relative positioning would have been much better.

I wrote this the other day on that topic: http://tutshelf.com/the-art-of-css-positioning/

It really needs lots of pollish :) keep going though!

Techguy172

That Search bar is a Firefox issue and I cannot figure that one out! Safari looks perfect, so Does IE and I think Opera does too. That Background image has been removed. Relative positioning doesn’t really help, Right now it’s just being floated and the margin just pulls it up. For some reason it’s interpreting the height wrong.

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "Techguy172" wrote:
    That Search bar is a Firefox issue and I cannot figure that one out! Safari looks perfect, so Does IE and I think Opera does too. That Background image has been removed. Relative positioning doesn’t really help, Right now it’s just being floated and the margin just pulls it up. For some reason it’s interpreting the height wrong.

Its your code.

try adding:

#searchform #s {
    float:left;
    margin:0 5px 0 0;
    }

Techguy172

Made those changes and added some content to show how the template handles them.

Any more advice would be very welcomed.

If I were you I would change the background image, why not have a look at http://www.tutorial9.net/photoshop/crea … ng-effect/ in keeping with the whole Windows Vista theme and all.

Also in the search box, why not have it with a value of ‘Search’ until somebody clicks on it.

Apart from that I like the idea.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.