Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other New Website – Needs Decluge?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    AshtonSanders
    Participant

Hey guys,

So I finally finished redesigning my own website, and now I realize that the home page is ridiculously cluttered… I’d love to hear any ideas on how I could simplify it.

http://www.websitesinaflash.com/

I’m thinking of cutting the yellow/brown horizontal bar in half and simplifying it to some simple icons… ?

I appreciate the feedback.
    Ashton Sanders

Rob MacKay
    Participant

well lets just say first off, you have people clicking to your services from the homepage which is vital. it looks good, and I like the way you kept your old home page linkable :)

I think to de-clutter a little – if you reworked your services links, maybe put took them out of the lighter brown box and lay them on the dark brown background it might feel less cluttered :)

but overall – its good, and not as cluttered as some sites lol

lookslikepat

I like it as well, although I’d work a little on the footer.
    Especially having the .container inside it being 1000px; it kinda looks cramped on a 1024 resolution browser. I’d add some more whitespace on the sides… And maybe define the footer it a little more, either by size or visual importance; less or more depending on what you think is best.
    Footers are the hardest, imo…

But other than that, I got nothin’ :)

[img]http://elundmark.se/filer/websites-in-a-flash.jpg[/img]

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Thanks guys for the sh*t sandwiches :D (seriously though).

@Rob
    : yea, I was fearing that. I really like the idea of the yellow box overlapping the blue box a little, but I think you’re right, it is not making the page any simpler. I’ll fiddle around with it.

@lookslikepat
    : I must admit that although I always build sites to be inside 1000px, I judge them on a 1440 screen and seldom look at the aesthetics of it on a 1024px screen. Yea, Footers are a pain. yea, that container class is used throughout the site to create a uniform width. I’ll try adding some margins to the footer items.

Thanks again guys,
    Ashton Sanders

lookslikepat
    "AshtonSanders" wrote:
    I must admit that although I always build sites to be inside 1000px, I judge them on a 1440 screen and seldom look at the aesthetics of it on a 1024px screen.

Yeah, I might have to rethink what I said… See I’m stuck on a 1024 computer, and I’ve never done any editing on a higher resolution, not to mention on something more than 72 dpi… I seriously need a new comp, heh…
    I therefore sometimes forget that I need to "think big"…

So yeah, don’t worry about it too much ;)

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "lookslikepat" wrote:
    Yeah, I might have to rethink what I said… )

I disagree ;)

I think you were right, 30% of my visitors are 1024 or smaller. Adding 10 px of padding to the footer so it looks better for them will make no visual difference to a larger monitor.

kevsyers
    Participant

without reading through some of what the others have said, i would say that you have a lot of boxes on your site. it gives it a very divided feel. Of course you want to separate your content but you have a lot going on and your need somewhere for your eye to rest.

I feel like you could use the line of site made by the firework looking graphic to your advantage. Watch out of ragged edges, especially in the footer.

You can always take note from your other pages. they all have a nice flow and the content is divided nicely.

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "kevsyers" wrote:
    without reading through some of what the others have said, i would say that you have a lot of boxes on your site. it gives it a very divided feel.

Thanks kevsyers. Did you happen to look at any of the back pages? I’m curious if you felt the rest of the web pages also felt divided; or just the home page.

Thanks

kevsyers
    Participant

i don’t get that feeling or experience from the other pages. They all seem well thought out and provides a clean means to present the content. Maybe what is throwing me off is the greenish brown box that runs across the middle…not really sure.

This is just my critique man. I would ask around to other people and see what they had to say about it.

Oh wait….did you change the home page? I thought I remember seeing more boxes. Oh well, good luck

AshtonSanders
    Participant

cool. I was hoping so. I ask because, that’s how I feel. When designing my home page I wanted every part of it to be "well designed" and I ended up putting way too many graphics on the page.

Yea, I did do some edits on the page. I took the Yellow out of the Yellow+Brown section and put some plain text into it. I feel like I should take the brown out altogether, but that would destroy the color scheme.

Okay, I just made the brown bar have one small quote in it…. What do you think?

(Also, someone said that they get a horizontal bar at 1024px screen – can anyone test that for me? I tried with the screen-resizer, and had no problems.)

Thanks guys,
    Ashton Sanders

kevsyers
    Participant

Yeah i think it’s coming together nicely. I can check your site on a larger monitor when I get to work tomorrow morning if no one has done it before I get there.

So far man it’s really nice.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Thanks man.

I decided to switch from the "respectable diarrhea brown" to incorporate the "gold sparklers" a little more. So the horizontal bar is now a gold fade. Now I just need more pictures of sparklers… hopefully some more updates tomorrow.

kevsyers
    Participant

i’m not seeing anything odd here at work. using ff on a mac(fyi)

oh and diarrhea brown should now be an official Crayola crayon…for now on

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    well lets just say first off, you have people clicking to your services from the homepage which is vital.

When I removed the yellow box, I removed those links to the services… and finally figured out a way to put them back in.

Websitesinaflash.com

Let me know what you think,
    Ashton Sanders

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.