Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

New Site Feedback Please

• # November 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Well done. Just a one thing. Your paragraph font color could be little sharper (darker) so it can can stand out and send that textured background further back instead being in my face and making me focus little harder to read as I would liked. Great job.

# December 18, 2012 at 10:14 am

I like it! I think the texture is the right color also. On one of my monitors the side bar stuff (where the texture is the bkg) the text is kind of light.

I keep one light and one dark that way I can see how it works with both sides of the spectrum… knowing full well that there are many poorly/overly lit monitors out there.

# December 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Nice site! Love the colors and layout. I think that “inquire” is spelled incorrectly on your button to the right.

# December 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Echoing what everyone’s already said: I think it looks great :) I particularly like the colour scheme.

Just one thing, though. It might just be the internet connection I’m on, but the Portfolio page, the images took quite a while to load. Is it necessary to have them 678kb when they’re only 440px square?

@kristinh I think ‘enquire’ is used in the UK, while ‘inquire’ is used in the US, so it’s correct for its location :)

# December 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Nice work, @andy_unleash! This looks really good.

Here are a few of my immediate thoughts:

* As mentioned by @pmac627, the contrast is a bit low in places (most notably the navigation, the contact form, and the near invisible footer).
    * As mentioned by @chrisburton, the background texture seems a bit intense. Also, as a general tip, try and use a solid background-color, and then a transparent texture. That would make decreasing the intensity much easier, and it wouldn’t affect the colour at all.
    * The buttons don’t fit in with the site that well. You aren’t really using shadows or gradients anywhere else, so I would lose them on the buttons. I’d also drop the shadow on the content container; it also looks a bit odd.

@chriscoyier Can’t wait for you to fix the markdown styling :)

# December 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thanks all.

@stillb4llin – A few people have noted that the texture does bleed a bid much and dull out the text, will definitely look at fixing that, either darkening the colours of the text (like the nav & sidebar stuff) probably by about 10%.

@kristinh – It’s enquire over here in blighty!

@david_leitch – Yeah the portfolio stuff is still under development, I want high quality images and am working out a fallback for @2x resolution for retina at the moment, so those images at the moment are non compressed and super chunky – will be switched out for a lightweight alternative soon.

@joshuanhibbert – Thanks dude, will look at the shadowing stuff. The main content shadow is mainly to make it appear like paper laid on top of the cardboard style background. Re: the buttons, any ideas on an alternative? I’ve mainly built them out just to be fun tactile nubbins and they’re using the main colours.

@chriscoyier – Yes please do fix the code/pre issues! Pretty please with cherries on top!

# December 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm

What’s the problem with code/pre now?

testing
    multiline
    code

# December 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

@chriscoyier – For me (Chrome 23) I have quite a lot of problems getting pre & code to work, half the time it just is invisible, so I’ll type out a bunch inside pre & code tags and then once submitted it just isn’t there. When clicking edit it’s all there, just being stripped out front end. Like below;

This is wrapped in a div

This is wrapped in a span

CSS & JS usually are fine, but HTML is unreliable in its output for me.

It does output okay if you use & gt ; & lt ;

# December 18, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Test

This is wrapped in a div

This is wrapped in a span

@andy_unleash are you inserting a space before the code begins and after the code ends as well as 4 spaces indenting the code? It works for me.

See here: http://cloud.chrisburton.me/LggH

# December 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

@chrisburton – Just tried it – no dice for me.

Might it be worth splitting this into an alternative thread?

# December 18, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Good work! Few issues – it breaks in IE8 and less ( not sure of your target users tho). You might want to consider appending your Html 5 elements to the DOM for wider support. It might be personal preference, but I find your portfolio list a bit too ‘in-your-face’ kind of, you may want to consider reducing it and increasing the gutters.

# December 18, 2012 at 10:13 pm

@philben – Cheers, haven’t done cross browser fixes (read, IE8+ support yet). To be honest, I’m not even going to bother firing up IE7, percentages are so low nationally and in our analytics.

When you say “appending your HTML5 elements to the DOM for wider support” – can you explain what you mean? I’m using HTML5 shiv and a block reset for HTML5 elements if that’s what you’re getting at?

# December 18, 2012 at 10:31 pm

@andy_unleash – Yes, Html5 shiv will do the same job, I should have clarified that. But currently it’s showing un-identified element in IE8, so you might want to debug that.

# December 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Hmm cheers for the spot then. Which element is it in particular, or is it just all HTML5 elements?

# December 19, 2012 at 5:28 am

@chriscoyier There is no styling of Markdown lists.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".