Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

New Site Feedback Please

• # November 23, 2012 at 9:09 am

Hi all,

We’re going to be launching our new site in the next couple of weeks, waiting on the copy writer to come back with the copy, so it’s full of lorem at the moment.

Would love to get peeps feedback and see what you all think. Definitely not finished yet so still a few bugs laying around and have done cross browser fixes yet.

I’d like to get your feedback on the look and feel as well as the responsiveness.

Obviously if you spot any glaring problems or glitches please say!

http://v4.unleash-it.co.uk

EDIT (26/12/2012) – New link as it’s live –> http://unleash-it.co.uk

# November 23, 2012 at 9:23 am

Checked it out on my phone and I like it.

Will do desktop later.

# November 23, 2012 at 9:43 am

@andy_unleash

Wow, great job, man!

I love the clean layout, the typography, the colours, the paper textured background, everything just works and I’m slightly envious.

Damn, I really need to start getting to grips with responsive web design.

Keep up the good work!

# November 23, 2012 at 9:54 am

Just looked at it on desktop and still good.

Based on Twitter Bootstrap?

Oh…it’s stupid but have you considered ‘internationlising’ your phone number for foreign visitors?

+44 (0)2380 xxx xxx

# November 23, 2012 at 10:17 am

It’s pretty damn nice to be honest. I would consider setting a min-width of 320px though. But that would just be me.

# November 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm

@watson90 – Thanks mate!

@Paulie_D – Nope not twitter bootstrap, all from the ground up, built the grid and the buttons manually etc. Re: international phone number – we pretty much just cover the UK to be fair.

@alexmccabe – Yeah I’m not sure on the minimum width yet, going to dig into our analytics and make sure we haven’t had too many hits from sub 320 devices.

# November 23, 2012 at 1:55 pm

The only thing I would suggest is to make the texture a bit more transparent. You also might want to rethink the `` for the ‘News’ page. Everything else is pretty solid.

# November 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm

@chrisburton – I take it you mean the background? Is it a bit overwhelming/dark?

Re: title on the news page, yeah it’s a bit rubbish right now, going to change it to like Latest News or News Archive or something.

# November 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm

As a side note I’m thinking of creating a git for the grid i built in SASS. Would anyone actually be interested though?

# November 23, 2012 at 8:03 pm

@andy_unleash I just think it’s too much. I would open it in Photoshop and put the fill to 50%. It looks much cleaner. By the way, if you capitalize “Design” you should do the same for “development”.

Here is the edited image: http://f.cl.ly/items/3o0F3335163a2h1H0U2L/bg.png

Result: http://cloud.chrisburton.me/L7fb

# November 23, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Hmm thanks for having a look, to me though it just looks too close to white which is something we wanted to avoid. Having a nice texture there really works for the inside pages where the content areas have a nice paper overlay feel to them.

Re capitalising development, it’s just that way grammatically but I catch your drift, the copy writer is probably going to be redoing the wording anyway.

# November 23, 2012 at 11:47 pm

It’s a really well designed site, I personally really like it.
    I like the layout and the fonts etc.
    Oh yeah in the contact area, you spelt “achieve” incorrectly.
    Other than that it’s really good.
    I checked it on my desktop and my tablet, both look great.

# November 24, 2012 at 10:08 am

Looks amazing, @andy_unleash. My screen tends to make colors look a tad lighter and that made the nav in the top right just a tiny bit hard to catch my eye at first. But the colors definitely match and it looks great.

If you don’t mind, what technologies and packages did you use for this site? I’m always curious about that kind of stuff. (I mean, did you use jQuery, HTML5BoilerPlate, cakePHP, etc?). Will you have a humans.txt for the finished product?

# November 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thanks all, @obscurecoder – nice spot on the typo, will get that fixed.

@pmac627 – Thanks for the feedback on the nav, it’s slightly transparent right now so will tweak it a bit to make sure it’s more visible.

Re: packages, JQuery is the only library we’re using, as well as Modernizr, other than that it’s all from scratch.

I’m using SASS/Compass as my preprocessor for the CSS to speed everything up and make life easier, but I really wanted it to have a custom grid and have everything geared to be perfect as we need it.

Re: humans.txt – maybe, I usually use them on customer sites just to say hi to fellow devs poking around but for our own site not sure it’s worth it since all of our details are on the site itself.

# November 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Really well designed. Fantastic use of screen space with non-arbitrary responsive design (hoorah!).

I’m nitpicking but, the main navigation links _could_ be a bit less transparent, and a tad larger.

Really, really nice, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".