Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

New Portfolio Website, Critic’s??

• # May 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Hey everyone,

I’v recently be designing, building then re-designing my portfolio website until i had something that i actually liked.

I think i’m at a stage where i am ready to get some feedback on what i can improve etc.

The website domain is: http://webdrone.co.uk

This website is made with HTML, CSS, PHP and some Javascript. Please note i’v already had some tech heads inform me the HTML5 is the overall term for the new standards and changes made to CSS etc. But have decided to keep it anyway.

Also please take into consideration that im only 19 so my portfolio of designs is still building.

# May 2, 2013 at 4:55 pm

A few things:

* I’m guessing English is not your native language? You need to do some spellchecking and proofreading. You have a lot of small grammatical/spelling mistakes, like “I’v” instead of “I’ve”, “i’m” instead of “I’m”, etc.
    * That’s a placeholder logo leftover from the base theme, right? Fix that. Logos are important.
    * In the footer you list your skills and knowledge. No one cares that you have experience with PC hardware. For starters, that’s so vague as to be useless, and frankly, it’s just not relevant unless you’re trying to land PC repair jobs. Which I sincerely hope you aren’t, that’s a thankless field. On the same note, not many people know or care what Notepad++ or XAMPP are. It’s irrelevant, and feels like filler content. No client cares what text editor you use, or what local server software you run. And Photoshop is pretty much an assumed skill for our career path.
    * Inconsistent font usage. Why are only some of your headings in Autour One, and others are in Noto Sans?
    * Lack of consistent headings (h1, h2, h3, so on) . . . your headings all seem to be spans, instead of h1, h2, etc. This effects SEO and semantics, among other things.
    * Your About page could use some polish, and better language. Try to put yourself in the mind of a potential client. What are they looking for? What can you offer that would compel them to choose you over the myriad of other developers? What, exactly, is your job title?
    * There is no call to action. “Feel free to browse my website.” Way ahead of you—that’s kinda what I’m already doing. What do you want your potential customers to *do* on your website? Tell them! Give them direction. Don’t make them think. You want their business, right? Give ‘em a nice button to click, or a number to call.
    * As this is a portfolio, you might want to want to add copyright info to your footer. You don’t want people stealing your work, better tell them that by copyrighting it.

Hope that wasn’t too harsh!

# May 2, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I think any new website launched nowadays from a web designer needs to be responsive or have a mobile/tablet version.

And is this a site for finding your own clients, or to find employment? If the former, then remove the skills and knowledge section, no one cares. Plus you won’t find either with admitted skills of Photoshop as “basic”.

# May 2, 2013 at 6:10 pm

It feels weird that the jagged border from the header disappears after scrolling, but maybe you did this intentionally to make it less distracting?

Things like learning, basic and intermediate are things for resumes. If you’re going for freelance work I think it’s better to come off as confident about your skills as you can. You can always learn stuff you don’t know yet when you need it.

> HTML5 is the overall term for the new standards

That’s only partially true. If you are referring to having CSS3 and JS listed in addition to HTML5, just keep it like that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you might want to make portfolio items clickable.

# May 3, 2013 at 2:08 am

I think that others have said most of the things, but I’m curious about why you’re writing PHP (MySQL) like that? I understand JavaScript (jQuery), but why pair PHP with MySQL that way?

I might also suggest to put the skills more as a “resume” page. If you’re doing freelancing work, have the footer with your skills be closer to “I do X with Y”, like “I do web pages in PHP (specific framework/CMS/whatever if applicable) using the newest technologies” or something like that, since I _think_ that’s the primary thing someone hiring you would be interested in.

And a final thing: What is it you’re trying to accomplish with the page? It’s been touched on in prior comments, but depending on what you’re wanting to do, you may want to polish things. And what is WebDrone? You don’t mention that, which gives a bit of a clash for me at least. Is this to seek employment at another company? Sell that. Is this to get freelancing jobs? Sell that. Make the reason for your page more… apparent in the copy and headers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".