Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

New Page and Font-Face

• Don
    # January 5, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Hi,

Im brand new to this forum and try to check it out :)

I’m still in the learnig process of CSS and html but want to show my side which I made the last 3days :) (with support of CSS-Tricks)
    its at:

http://www.wild-foods.com
    ..any code or form hints appreciated :)

I just saw the video about the flash integration(siFR) to implement some unique fonts but with CSS3 comes this "font-face" attribute which does the same job? My gues is that it is better to use sIFR because not all browser support "the font-face" …maybe wait 1/2 a year or till every browser supporting it??

greetings
    Don

# January 6, 2009 at 12:32 am

IMO you should hold off on all sifr, font face, etc. for now. It’s just added work that not many people are even going to be able to see.

Rob
    # January 6, 2009 at 5:39 am
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    IMO you should hold off on all sifr, font face, etc. for now. It’s just added work that not many people are even going to be able to see.

I would agree with this…

As for your code…

Good job! You obviously have learnt alot :) A few things I would do it like this…

Your current structure is like this…

<div id="header">
    <div id="nav">
    <div id="wrap_content">
    <div id="footer">

When it could be like this…

<h1>
    <ul id="nav">
    <div id="wrap_content">
    <div id="footer">

H1 and UL are block elements, just like a DIV is, so you can style them just the same. So you dont actually need the DIV wrapping your nav UL, and using your H1 as your document header is always good SEO – especially if you put some text in there, and then use "text-indent:-9999px" to hide it :). Search engines will pick it up you see.

Hope that made sense. :)

Don
    # January 6, 2009 at 7:28 pm

hi,

thx for the reply first :),

@Robskiwarrior
    ..yes your’re right
    as for SEO(Search Engine Optimisation) thx for the hint ..and yes I know its good practise to apply some text for H1

My only worry is a that a scrollbar appears on the bottom (in Safari(mac)) if I resize the page?
    Any idear how I can get rid of that?
    I know that it appears if you shrink the content but if I resize the the window again, the scrollbark wont dissapear even if the page is "much" bigger then the content?

Any Idear?

# January 8, 2009 at 1:21 am

Not only is h1 good SEO, h2 and h3, etc is as well. Headers are usually over-views of the proceeding content, so search engines like them… Or so they lead us to believe. ;)

I like the design… I would just suggest that you make the little current nav image into a transparent .png… The first two that you select are over the brown circles, and you see the black background of the little image. Also, I would make the header image transparent as well so you don’t see the black background there, too. ;)

Very nice for being new to the scene!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".