Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design New minimalistic website for review!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Darvile
    Participant

Hey web citizens!

Would like to share with you my new website, it is in portuguese but I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys about the design…
    Thanks a lot!

http://www.danieldarvile.com.br/

Daniel

Darvile
    Participant

Hi Janet!

I’m kind of a newbie on webdesign, therefore my portfolio is still p’tit.
    The samples are yet to come…
    But thank’s for stopping by!
    Hugs!

Darvile
    Participant

Nice Josh!
    Will work on that…thks for the tips!

Very clean design! The page loaded very quickly and appears to be under 1 MB with all assets loaded. You may want to consider using svg images for some of your illustrations to keep them sharp on all devices and at all sizes.

Personally I didn’t feel the Skills section was appropriate or relevant for the site. If you are trying to sell yourself to a potential employer you probably want to let your resume speak to your skills and experience in more depth and keep that info out of your main content.

Also, if you are trying to get client work, a potential client may not know what all those technologies (jquery, css3, etc) are. Your rankings in each skill category hold no industry standard meaning. If you did a self-assessment to determine your expertise level in each core technology, then your assessment may not match up with what anyone else perceives your skill level to be. I’d drop the whole Skills section from your site.

It looks like you are on the right track with this design. Keep up the great work.

Darvile
    Participant

Hi Adam!

Thanks for taking some time to check out the site.
    Yeah I’ve put some effort to optmize the website performance with the google’s page speed tool.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/

About the svg format I’ ll look on that for sure. I’ve noticed that some images render kind of awkward in some mobile devices.
    About the skills page. I brougth this up from some research that I’ve done in the previews stages of the project but I’ll take your advice in consideration.
    Anyways, I would like to thanks everybody for the words and I’m glad to be a part of the web community witch keeps amazing me every day.
    Big Hug!

__
    Participant

a potential client may not know what all those technologies (jquery, css3, etc) are. Your rankings in each skill category hold no industry standard meaning. If you did a self-assessment to determine your expertise level in each core technology, then your assessment may not match up with what anyone else perceives your skill level to be. I’d drop the whole Skills section from your site.

+1

I’m not sure where this idea of showing off test scores came from, or why everyone seems to be doing it lately, but it is Not A Good Thing. It is a) confusing, b) meaningless (or, at the very least, does not convey the meaning you expect), and c) undermines your professionalism.

List the services you provide. If you are not fully capable of providing some service, don’t list it. That’s all there is to it.

I’m glad to be a part of the web community witch

lol, couldn’t resist

Darvile
    Participant

Hi traq!
    Yeah I suppose this page came to be kind of controversial.
    But I hear you..

About the “witch”, come on man, cut me some slack…
    English is not my first language but you are right, that “t” should not be there…
    But if you stop to think about it, web can be a witch some times don’t you think?
    lol

__
    Participant

Yeah I suppose this page came to be kind of controversial.

Well, hey, it’s feedback. That’s my assessment of the pros/cons of the particular feature. You are entirely welcome to your own decision.

About the “witch”, come on man, cut me some slack… English is not my first language but you are right, that “t” should not be there… But if you stop to think about it, web can be a witch some times don’t you think?

Absolutely, which is why I thought it was funny. It wasn’t meant as a complaint. I hope you enjoyed the humor!

Darvile
    Participant

No worries traq.
    In the matter of fact, that “burn the wicht” image cracked me up…
    clever move…

claire2013
    Participant

Very nice site but I think the images are really flat and the edges are rough. I would add some more definition to them.

chrisburton
    Participant

You should probably swap the font element for the p element in your code.

There are minor issues with your site but I won’t nitpick, unless you want that sort of feedback.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.