Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design New logo design (…but it still seems stupid!)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Steven Watson
    Participant

What’s up guys?

I was wondering whether anyone could link me to some helpful articles on logo design that maybe you, yourself have used in the past?

I know it’s a totally different ball game from web design, but it’s something that I really want to get creative with…

I created this logo in Adobe Illustrator as a vector image and also saved it out as a PNG which is what is currently on my test URL here.

I just feel it sucks. Thanks for any help or links to useful articles in advance.

Steven :)

chrisburton
    Participant

I just feel it sucks.

Why? What were you trying to convey here? What’s the purpose of this logo? What do you think you could have done to make it better (even slightly)?

I used to spend days and weeks on this issue but ultimately found that I really didn’t need to make a distinctive mark for myself.

nixnerd
    Participant

…ultimately found that I really didn’t need to make a distinctive mark for myself.

Wow. So much of this. I did the same thing. I’d spend weeks upon weeks revising and SLIGHTLY changing a logo. Now, I just don’t really care. My product will brand me the way I want. Also… no matter how badass your logo is… you’ll be sick of it in 6 months.

Alen
    Participant

…ultimately found that I really didn’t need to make a distinctive mark for myself.

that’s not what he’s asking for…

I know it’s a totally different ball game from web design, but it’s something that I really want to get creative with

No?

@watson90
    , you’re on the right track… just keep experimenting and practicing. I’m not a logo expert but I’m sure others will chime in with some resources.

chrisburton
    Participant

Also… no matter how badass your logo is… you’ll be sick of it in 6 months

I don’t necessarily believe this. I think it ultimately depends on the design. For example, I think I’d love having a logo similar to Dana Tanamachi’s (by John Passafiume). To me, it’s timeless.

chrisburton
    Participant

that’s not what he’s asking for…

Opinions not allowed?

nixnerd
    Participant

For example, I think I’d love having a logo similar to Dana Tanamachi’s (by John Passafiume). To me, it’s timeless.

That is far too ornate for me. I respect your opinion on all things design… this logo just isn’t my style.

But, I did tell a bit of a fib. No matter how old I get, I NEVER get tired of the Nike logo. I don’t even own that much Nike… a few pairs of sneakers. But, I love seeing on jerseys and billboards. Never gets old to me.

Alen
    Participant

I guess, but you’re avoiding the question entirely.

chrisburton
    Participant

Thanks for any help […]

or links to useful articles in advance.

I don’t believe I’m avoiding the question. I think my first paragraph will lead to find out what he’s trying to use the logo for exactly (print/web/small alternate (mark for client footers), etc).

chrisburton
    Participant

This guy has one for years now and I am still not bored with it

Agreed. +1. And it works practically anywhere.

Alen
    Participant

I think I’ll take a step back and start sketching some ideas down first on paper, even if it is just my name or initials :)

Awesome. +100 %!!

Mikko Laine
    Participant

SW*
    make it bigger
    make the loop more open (S bottom) so that it looks more like an S. maybe shorten the top loop a bit and move that star

designer & developer
    change the typeface. try it with something like futura (all caps, add letter spacing (100-200) and make it smaller)

just an idea.

you should try it with different shapes as well…
    how does the SW* look in a circle? triangle? square? what if it’s like this: http://d1nr5wevwcuzuv.cloudfront.net/product_photos/1424376/layout-gym-circle_original.jpg (replace that dude with SW*, layout apparel with design and ultimate…. with developer. and use same font size… or not)
    what if the SW* in that is so big that it goes over the circle? (slightly)
    what if …

just try different things. even when you like something you’ve already made. (you might come up with an idea that makes the logo better in some way)

chrisburton
    Participant

@watson90 To be quite honest, I like that. A lot.

nixnerd
    Participant

Dude, I like it quite a bit too. It’s super clean. I dig that. A lot. Plus, I always think negative space looks cool. Have you thought about even further stylizing it and just putting “STVN” in a block? That could be really cool and the weirdness of it would “sear” it into people’s brains.

Just my opinion but I like the direction you’re heading in. Simple wins every time over everything.

chrisburton
    Participant

Wow, coming from you, that’s a real compliment, thank you.

That could be a good and a bad thing. I just have a particular taste with design and I don’t intend for that to be construed as always correct.

It’s kind of a bit random how the name STEVEN is broken up into two

It fits and I don’t believe it will confuse most people. You may want to watch out for the tracking of the letters. You don’t want them too far apart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.