Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS New Forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

New, as in, they are now powered by Vanilla Forums instead of phpBB. Vanilla is far simpler and cleaner and I’m hoping is going to serve this community better. The biggest goal is keeping spam down, and I have high hopes for that!

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Issues so far:

• Old code is in tags, which doesn’t mean anything to this system. I’ll have to run some DB actions to convert all that into <pre> and <code> tags, which is a good reminder: when posting code, use those tags, just like you would in the blog comments.
      #example {
         height: 100px;
      }

So… gotta fix that in all old posts. May also need to UN-escape the code.

• It’s weird how the editor is inserting break tags for returns AND auto-wrapping with <p> tags.
    • Preferences don’t want to open
    • Pretty URL’s are half broken
    • Old smilies are broken links
    • Can we get a “mark all as read” button?
    • Profile images don’t show in a nice box in the Profile area. Also, header hierarchies are weird in that area.

[code] tags, which doesn’t mean anything to this system. I’ll have to run some DB actions to convert all that into <pre> and <code> tags, which is a good reminder: when posting code, use those tags, just like you would in the blog comments.

#example {
    height: 100px;
    }

So… gotta fix that in all old posts. May also need to UN-escape the code.

• It’s weird how the editor is inserting break tags for returns AND auto-wrapping with <p> tags.
  • Preferences don’t want to open
  • Pretty URL’s are half broken
  • Old smilies are broken links
  • Can we get a “mark all as read” button?
  • Profile images don’t show in a nice box in the Profile area. Also, header hierarchies are weird in that area.
Chris Coyier
Keymaster

Got that one fixed, thanks for the heads up!

Rob MacKay
Participant

Hehe this is funkey :)

virtual
Participant

The text and boxes flow out of the white background onto the beige side.

jamygolden

@almcrorie – It’s not username and password anymore, it’s email-address and password. Perhaps that’s why you couldn’t log in.

jamygolden

Go into your profile, and look under “activity” – It will show you the most recent post’s you have commented on. I’m guessing you will be notified if someone mentions you like this: @betzster
I do agree though, that the phpBB ‘View unanswered posts’ was more convenient.

Rob MacKay
Participant

To be fair to this forum they leave a lot of room for plugin expansion so as far as I can see you can take it to a level you need…. expect them only to get better in the coming months.

Chris Coyier
Keymaster

@betzster

That’s true, the unanswered posts thing was kinda cool. I does list the number of comments when viewing the list of all threads, so I might end up doing some kind of jQuery thingy where un-replied-to threads have slightly different styling or something like that.

For seeing all posts you have commented on, I think this is almost better now. You can “bookmark” discussions that are important to you and actually get email notifications when new stuff is posted which never worked right on the old forums as far as I know.

Chris Coyier
Keymaster

@WCMiller Thanks! I fixed that one.

thisishard

Please can the white background issue get fixed for chrome?
This is a link that Ahmad Fawaz Amin posted on the forums post.

http://i35.tinypic.com/r20mxl.jpg

Chris Coyier
Keymaster

I’m going to keep the second post in this thread updated with crap that needs to get fixed. Just FYI.

Nice job on the new system, Chris!

I had some issues posting code – I used the new element tags for inserting the code, but it told me that I was over the character limit when I tried to post. I don’t know if anyone else is having this problem, but if there are character limits, it would be great to list those somewhere when writing a post.

Thanks!

Chris Coyier
Keymaster

Apparently it’s 8000 characters.

Rob MacKay
Participant

Thats a lot of code @HeatherFeimster lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.