Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

New Design For my site

• # May 3, 2008 at 12:46 am

I decided to redesign my site. Please take a look and leave feedback, comments, and tips.

http://ww-wd.com/

# May 3, 2008 at 8:50 am

Original menu and nice logo. For the rest: evrything grey and white, maybe a little bit standard. Try to break out, try to make something of your own of it. You could also play with the typography. Make something of it that will stand out between all those websites.

# May 5, 2008 at 3:24 am

Your design is a bit simple, but it’s nice. Your menu is creative, but I’m not sure if I like all the moving text, it’s a little bit chaotic imo. I like your header.

Like Edwin said, use some more typography. Make your headers stand out. Make them large, maybe another color or another font.

Your coding seems a bit old fashioned on some pages, and that is also causing some validation errors.

For example on your portfolio page:

Code:

You should use css to specify border-color, border-width, width, etc. You can easily do that with inline CSS. And the bordercolor attribute seems unnecessary to me. If the border-width is zero, why specify a color?

Replace this:

Code:

By this:

Code:

Also, don’t forget to add the alt-attribute to your images.

# May 6, 2008 at 1:03 am

Thanks Onyx and Edwin

I have updated my old fashion markup and CSS. It now validates on every page.
    As a side note i removed:

Code:
    html { overflow-y: scroll; }

from my CSS because it wouldn’t validate. My questions is, is there any thing wrong with having that code in my CSS?

I’m still working on the typography.

# May 7, 2008 at 7:27 am

I’ve got to be blunt:

I like the page, but I do not think the menu is a good idea at all. It defies with usability logic, meaning a user wouldn’t expect it at all and might get confused and/or irritated. My initial thought was "Huh, where’d the link go?" even though it only moved like 100 pixels.

Why not use a standard list on the Services-page? Users would find it easier to read if you’d put one "service item" on each line. You could, for instance, design visually appealing bullet points to use on the list.

In addition, I’d like it the picture of yourself on the Contact-page was floated to the right, so it wouldn’t crash with my reading flow.

# May 16, 2008 at 1:35 am

Updates
    About Page: photo moved to right for better reading flow.
    Nav: new hover images for a less jumpy menu.

- Thank you: anyone who has given me any feedback i really appreciate it.

# May 16, 2008 at 6:45 am

Indeed, a less jumpy menu 8) I like it.

# May 16, 2008 at 6:24 pm

On the About page you use a <h3> and <strong> for the same sort text:

Code:
    Design Related Computer Skills
    Code:

Web and Graphic Design Experience

It look like headings to me so it seems more logical to use the h3 for all the headings instead of the strong tag.

The rest of the site looks pretty good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".