Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

New design for my personal web site

• # January 22, 2009 at 4:40 am

Hi everyone,

I re-designed my personal web site.
    http://arman.boyaci.ca/new
    I have tried to use new trendy things like rounded borders, jquery effects, large white spaces…

I will be glad to hear your feedbacks. Thanks in advance.

-Arman

# January 22, 2009 at 1:29 pm

My initial impression is that it feels a bit empty, especially the home page. Removing some of the white space and adding additional content would help. You may also want to consider removing the jquery tooltip effect on your home page, and actually including that content directly in your page instead. I’d much prefer to quickly scan the page than to have to mouse over each of the links in the content and wait for it to load.

Keep in mind… these "trendy effects" are just that — trendy. Just because they are popular at the moment doesn’t necessarily mean that they will be popular forever, and it doesn’t mean that it suits you or the look you are going for. Chances are, some of the things that are in style at the moment will fade in popularity, and other elements will take their place. Focus instead on making the site present yourself in the most professional way possible, and be accessible and usable for your audience.

One other note… putting your navigation in the footer is probably a bad move. On a 1024×768 screen resolution, the user has to scroll to access the navigation, and it isn’t immediately visible when the page is loaded. That is why most designers place the navigation up near the top of the page.

Rob
    # January 22, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I would agree with alot of what falken said.

But on a technical side I would add that you have a problem with your jQuery. If you roll on and off your expandable items it will keep looping, you need to add a stop(); so your animation will restart once you hover out and in quickly, meaning it will only do it once and not 400 times :D

wow that made no sense… lol

# January 23, 2009 at 11:30 am

Thank you guys for your feedbacks ;) I’ll make some changes…

What about inner pages, like "files". http://arman.boyaci.ca/new/files.html

-Arman

# January 24, 2009 at 7:30 am

dude,

too much white space…….. why is there so much free and empty space?

I believe a monitor about 17" with a 1024×768 is a "standard" size, and I have to scroll about to view your site when in fact the content is so low I shouldn’t.

you can keep it just as clean by cutting out as much whitespace.

I do think it is clean, but I am not a fan of too much javascript for fancy effects, I just like content and design.

as said navigation should not be at the bottom, unless you are sticking the footer to the bottom of the screen and making your contetn scroll, without affecting the footer.

why show flikr, picasa & devianart?

contact page, why make the name and message mandatory but not the email, I think this is the most important part.

as said above by falken, add the hover content to your main page, your main page has no real content, 2 lines and 3 links. would you as a reader like that?

# January 26, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I like your updated version much better, although I did also like the simplicity of your first page. I think with a little spiffing, maybe adding in some drop shadows with your boxes, doing a bit of photoshop work, the page would really pull together.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".