Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Nesting functions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’m in the middle of learning JS and jQuery. I try and create a random tool at least once a week to test how my learning is going, and this is my latest experiment: http://jsfiddle.net/joshnh/UBQvL/

Now, originally, I was using nested for loops (http://jsfiddle.net/joshnh/UBQvL/9/), but I have since discovered that this is a bad idea for performance reasons. I have defined functions to try and get around this, but is defining a function inside another function just as bad?

What is the best way to do what I am trying to do? Have you got any other improvements for me? Thanks in advance guys.

Slightly related aside; should I define a function like this:

function foo() {
    };

Or like this:

var foo = function() {
    };
    tobeeornot

@joshuanhibbert – nice application, josh. I am also learning jquery at the moment and was wondering how you go about setting yourself projects? I am working purely off exercise files at the moment and thought it would be good to move away from that and do my own stuff. The problem is I find it hard choosing what to do. Any suggestions?

tobeeornot

Great idea. Thanks @karlpcrowley

@Hompimpa LOL! You and your forking antics ;)

@tobeeornot
    I struggle with finding things to create and practise with too, but any time something pops into my head (usually from a discussion with someone) I attempt to create a tool. I much prefer creating my own stuff over following tutorials, and I find that having to figure out issues on my own is the best way to learn. The other thing I do is try to recreate popular things on my own. Things like this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this.

Not all of those are working 100%, but feel free to play around with them!

@karlpcrowley
    Thanks for those links mate, I’ll have a look at them now! Great looking fork too :D

@karlpcrowley That article explained defining functions perfectly. Thanks Karl!

Also, that inception gist is awesome!

tobeeornot

@joshuanhibbert – thanks very much for that. I think that is really good advice. Sometimes I am keen to move on quickly after finishing tutorials and come to doubt myself later as to how much I have absorbed. I think what you are doing sounds like the best method.

@tobeeornot No worries. Good luck with your learning!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.