Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Need Some Advanced jQuery/PHP help…Please?

• # April 5, 2012 at 2:16 am

Essentially, what i am trying to do is upgrade an old app i created to use some of the great AJAX features of jquery. Example: instead of limiting the admin to creating categories one at a time which can obviously be really monotonous, I would like to convert the page so that you can dynamically add a field so you can add multiple categories at once if desired…my issue now is, how do i go about properly posting the data via php? Here is what i am working with:

http://jsfiddle.net/pseud0cool/WVzH4/

Keep in mind i am planning on using AJAX to post the data…Let me know if you have any ideas for improving or anything that can help at all.

Thanks Guys!

xpy
    # April 5, 2012 at 2:42 am

First of all,

var cats = $("#categoryTable tr").length;

won’t work because if you remove one (not the last) and then add one, you will have duplicate Id’s and names… Maybe you should just do a cats++ every time you add a cat.
    Secondly, Itterate through your inputs and bulid your POST data like:

var postData = '?';

$("#categoryTable input[type='text']").each(
    function(i,e){

postData+= (postData!='?'?'&':'')+$(e).attr('id')+'='+$(e).val();

});

( I think)
    I’m sure there are better ways though…

# April 5, 2012 at 3:44 pm

damn, i tried and tried changing it as you suggested, but still can’t figure it out…

# April 5, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Yah, this is something I’ve been puzzling over.

I haven’t got to this point in my project yet, but I’ll have to do it sometime…

I need a solution on this as well.

# April 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I just don’t understand how i can get the form to generate them properly, this blows! I may have to take the to stack if no one is able to help me here :(

__
    # April 5, 2012 at 11:51 pm

instead of dynamically generating a new name for each category (category_2, category_3, category_4, etc..), why not just make “category” an array?
    — never worry about duplicate names.
    — _much_ easier to manage server-side.
    — if you don’t need the ids (it doesn’t seem like you do), just omit them, and you won’t need to do cats++ or anything, you could just clone and append and be done with it.

as a side note, .live() is depreciated. .on() is currently the preferred method to attach event handlers (or, use .delegate() with older versions of jQuery).

# April 6, 2012 at 1:04 am

Thanks for the thought, I will have to find something that teaches that…I pieced together some code to pull this together…I do know that .live() is deprecated, I am trying to go one step at a time so i can at least get it functioning while i am learning. Thanks for your input!

__
    # April 6, 2012 at 1:18 am

teaches what?

I simply meant . Most of the adjustments you’d need to make would be removing code, not figuring out new code.

# April 6, 2012 at 1:55 am

OH i see…duh, ok cool thanks alot…

xpy
    # April 6, 2012 at 3:23 am

I’d aggre with @traq for the array thing… You’ll have to worry for one thing less…
    anyway, in the code I suggested, you are supposed to use the variable postData to your AJAX request like this

$.ajax({
    type: "POST",
    url: "phpPage.php",
    data: postData
    })

then, at the phpPage.php you’ll handle your POST data…

# April 6, 2012 at 2:41 pm

So I understand that this would generate every field as a element in an array that I can parse with the POST data?

I didn’t know you could do that. Cool. Thanks a bunch.

__
    # April 6, 2012 at 10:16 pm

obviously, this won’t work on jsfiddle, but give it a try locally:

http://jsfiddle.net/XHe4x/6/

# April 7, 2012 at 2:02 am

Wow thanks! lol, though i usually like to learn by doing that at least puts me where i need to be, I am trying to learn some more advanced jQuery and this is a great start.

Thanks again, far more than i expected!

__
    # April 7, 2012 at 2:12 am

no problem – and if you like to “learn by doing,” great! “Do” compare and see what I did differently. If you want to “do” more, then try creating the new <input>s via javascript, instead of creating-and-hiding-and-cloning a “real” one in your HTML markup (if you notice, you’ll always have an extra, empty $_POST variable with the current approach).

and if you don’t already, visit api.jquery.com – a lot of what I did is straight from the examples there.

# April 7, 2012 at 5:59 am

That is where i am learning from for the more advanced stuff…essentially i learned PHP from the documentation online…Cheers again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".