Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Need help with js for center menu on district website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    atjones44
    Participant

I’ve been asked to change it from hover effect to clickable.
    Im not having any luck what so ever since javascript is new to me. I will have to buy a book on it.
    I have here a jsfiddle of the menu. http://jsfiddle.net/atjones44/62k19ffn/12/
    Can anyone do up a simple js code for onclick events to open the menu, rather than :hover css effects
    live site can be seen at usd430.k12.ks.us

Paulie_D

What happens if JS is not enabled by the user?

Are you worried about the menu not working not working in that case?

atjones44
    Participant

I haven’t really thought about that. Since there is no real easy way to achieve this with css, as long as it works on our district computers for our staff and students, I really don’t care. if the end user disabled js at home then its their own problem I guess.

thanks for the help ahead of time

• Andrew Jones
      USD430
    Paulie_D

So you don’t want any hover action at all?

The only way to get to the submenu will be a click?

Just checking as that’s not really a thing that you see very often.

atjones44
    Participant

Right, the grade school teachers have complained that with KDG and 1st graders don’t really have the hand / eye coordination to handle the hover effect because the menu keeps disappearing on them lol.

I’d like a click to open the first nav and then a click to open the submenus there if possible.
    I use jquery on the site already for usd430 news and stuff so being js shouldn’t matter really. will it still work with mobile devices?

Paulie_D

Ok…I’ll take a look but I think we’ll need to tidy up some of the HTML errors you have in the fiddle.

will it still work with mobile devices?

I think so, but I’m not up on mobile & clicks with JQ.

atjones44
    Participant

Thanks much!

Soronbe
    Participant

I think so, but I’m not up on mobile & clicks with JQ.

Mobile devices with touchscreen often dont have a “click” event. In most cases they use events like “touchstart” “touchmove” and “touchend”.

Paulie_D

Mobile devices with touchscreen often dont have a “click” event. In most cases they use events like “touchstart” “touchmove” and “touchend”.

Oh..yeah…I was aware of those just not on he implementation…still researching.

Unfortunately I have to be away this weekend so I may not be able to do much until Monday.

atjones44
    Participant

That is totally fine, thank you for the help you’re willing to do for me and the school district.

atjones44
    Participant

The only way I got touchscreen devices to work with the hover menu was by adding

<span>
    menu html is here
    </span>
    atjones44
    Participant

Hey Guys, just still messing with the center menu on the website. I’d still like to make the menu, clickable if possible rather than hover like it currently is. Even if its not js that does it.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I thought this wouldn’t be too complicated but the HTML looks scrambled and to be honest the CSS made my head spin. I think this isn’t so much a js issue – that bit of code looks pretty close and click events should work normally on touch screens (just slightly delayed).

atjones44
    Participant

Think its doable? Or will it not work? I can try to find a new menu that will do more of what I need.
    Again thanks for your help.

Shikkediel
    Participant

It’s certainly doable, I just got disheartened a bit. The HTML has some stray tags I think but the CSS would need a rewriting. The js should only require some minor coding then (I’ll take another, fresh look).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.