Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Need help choosing a hosting company.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

@ToxicFire I never liked their customer support.

Chandra

Godaddy is the best hosting company.

trollster

HostGator anyday! 1and1, GoDaddy, Expertrio, Arvixe are some other options you might consider.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

I made the switch to StableHost and used TheDoc’s referral code.. All i can say is that i am in love with this hosting.

I still prefer to purchase domain names from GoDaddy, only because its cheaper. But so far, StableHost has been amazing for me.

Watson90

Same here @JohmMotylJr, I am liking it too! I particularly love the file manager in the back end, its so easy to use.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@Watson90, yeah it is pretty nice. Do you use ftp though? I personally use FileZilla for ftp’ing into my root directory. They make it very simple to set all that stuff up as well.

chrisburton
    Participant

@JohnMotylJr I also use GoDaddy for my domains instead of with Stablehost.

The screencast I sent you using Sublime, you can download an SFTP/FTP plugin for it.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@ChristopherBurton, I am going to check that out. I like FileZilla though when i have to transfer alot of things. But yeah, using a plugin for sublime would be awesome…

Are you refering to this Sublime SFTP

chrisburton
    Participant

That’s it

Watson90

@JohnMotylJr no I don’t use an FTP service it doesn’t seem to create the ftp username for me when I try to set one up :S it looks like a HTML page with no CSS whatsoever and then I fill in the details and click submit and nothing happens…

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@Watson90

If you plan on using FileZilla, is so super simple man. Just follow these steps:

1. 1.) Go to your sites cpanel (http://domainname.com/cpanel) and log in.
    2. 2.) Click “FTP Accounts” under Files, or search for “FTP Accounts”
    3. 3.) Enter a name, password, confirm and select directory (i select my root dir “www”)
    4. 4.) Create FTP Account
    5. 5.) Once created, go under FTP Accounts and find the one you just created. Now click “Configure FTP Client”
    6. 6.) *For FileZilla* select “FTP Configuration File”
    7. 7.) You have just downloaded an xml document that we will use in FileZilla
    8. 8.) Open up FileZilla and go: File / Import / *select the xml document you just downloaded* / Open
    9. 9.) When prompted click OK
    10. 10.) go: File / Site Manager and select your new FTP should look like (ftp.domainname.com) / Connect
    11. 11.) Enter your password
    12. 12.) And Boom goes the dynamite

It may look like a lot of steps but its really not, its fairly simple..

Simple as 3.14, however, im going to purchase that sublime ftp plugin, ill let you know how that works if you wish. Notepad ++ has a free ftp plugin but i prefer Sublime.

Watson90

Worked like a charm thank you very much for taking the time to write that all for me, I don’t know why but the page didn’t look like that when I tried, it might have been because I just purchased the hosting the same day and it may not have been ready to add a new FTP user just then, but it’s fine now. I’ll use my FileZilla now :)

I’m a windows 7 user so Sublime is out of the question, I prefer to just use Dreamweaver.

I have been looking at Macbook’s lately, they look soooo nice but they’re so expensive!!! I know the old cliche goes _You get what you pay for…_ but that is taking it a bit too far!

Mac’s are just so nicely built, but I can’t justify it for the price and getting one on finance and tying myself into another contract is not something I’m willing to do, everything looks so good on Mac’s though, Sublime, Coda etc.

It’s just unfortunate, maybe I’ll be able to afford one in the future…

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

I hear ya, check this post out. By trade im a .net developer (web dev is a passionate hobby for me) that’s why i stick with Windows, and yes you are correct, things do look a lot better on mac. But sublime still rocks out on Windows.

If you just purchased your hosting then it will take a couple hours. StableHost had me up and running within an hour though. Although i don’t like DreamWeaver AT ALL, i’m pretty sure you can FTP in through DW.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Watson90 You can download and use Sublime on Windows 7.

Watson90

What the F**K…I didn’t even know it was for Windows! Haha, I like how it looks, I think I will download it :D

Hmmm, £37 – I don’t think I can afford that just at the minute how long does the evaluated version last for?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.