Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

need fresh eyes on this code

• # July 28, 2009 at 12:15 am

I have having a heck of a time getting my divs to wrap around each other like I want and wondered of someone could look at the code to see what I am missing. This happened to me on another website I build with wordpress. Its hard to see if you have the right amount of end </divs> when your code is broke up into all those separate php. files. grrr!!!

anyway the site I am working on is at http://www.linkcreativedesign.com

What I want is for the 2 sidebars to be inside of my content div.. and for the wrapper to wrap around the footer div. right now the footer is outside the wrapper.. and the 2 sidebar divs are outside the content and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong..

Thanks so much!

# July 28, 2009 at 12:18 am

acctually now the home page has the footer and sidebar divs inside the content div and the rest are as I explained above. now I am really lost…

# July 28, 2009 at 2:35 am

As far as I can tell, the footer IS inside the wrapper.

And both sidebars are in the content area. I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re problem is.

I can see many different problems on the page itself, but none of it has to do with what you described. Perhaps you can try explaining again?

Rob
    # July 28, 2009 at 6:13 am

hey – good too see you again! 100 posts! Congrats :)

# July 28, 2009 at 7:17 am

Hie

To get the footer out of the content area you could try

#footer{clear:both}

It normally works for me.

I hope this helps

# July 28, 2009 at 8:07 am

I am not sure what browser you are looking in but the problem still is that the footer is not in the wrapper and sidebars not in the content. except the home page which I have NO idea why it would be different than the rest of the pages.

what does validate mean? I knew but I kind of forget. the validator link is interesting but I dont know what it means when it underlines a ">" in red? what is it telling me to do. the description isnt clear to me..

hi Rob thanks!

# July 28, 2009 at 8:12 am

ok now I have the home page just like I want it but when I go to any other page on the site it bumps the footer and sidebars back out! why would it be different than the rest?

# July 28, 2009 at 8:19 am
    Quote:
    I am not sure what browser you are looking in but the problem still is that the footer is not in the wrapper and sidebars not in the content.

He’s is looking at the code and yes they are.

Validate means fix your code. You have mismatched tags all over the place, sort that out and you will probably find your layout comes together.

# July 28, 2009 at 8:31 am

right now the home page is looking just how I want it. I just can’t figure out how to get the other pages to not have the problem. when I look in fire bug at the pages with the problem the footer and sidebars are outside the wrapper and content.

How do I read this validator. it seem like it is not accurate in telling me where the problem is because I am using wordpress so when it says on line 61 dont know which file.. I have to find it myself.

How do I read what it is telling me? for example what does this mean.

Line 125, Column 54: XML Parsing Error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: br line 84 and div
    </div><!–end content div–></div><—-(right here this ">" is highlighted in red but what is that telling me to do?)
    is it telling me to remove that whole ending div tag? add another? move it somewhere else? I have maticuliously gone though to make sure there are the right amount of closing divs in the right spot but apparently I am still missing something. I just dont know how to read what the validator is saying.

what does br line mean?

# July 28, 2009 at 9:13 am

Oh dear. Basic html.

Quote:
    How do I read this validator. it seem like it is not accurate in telling me where the problem is because I am using wordpress so when it says on line 61 dont know which file.. I have to find it myself.

Open the page in a browser, go to view source from the toolbar, then edit -> select all -> copy and paste it into the validator at http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input and paste the same code into a new page in your text editor. Then you can see more or less what specifically the validator is pointing to.

The about page http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkcreativedesign.com%2Fabout

Quote:
    </div><!–end content div–></div><—-(right here this ">

You honestly can’t see a problem with that? The div has been closed twice.

br is referring to the break tags. In xhtml the break tag is a self closing element <br /> yours aren’t <br>

You have <ul>’s with nothing inside them and <li>’s floating around on their own.

Capital letters are not permitted in xhtml so IMG SRC, ALT and ALIGN should be img src, alt and align

Make the pages validate and there’s a pretty good chance they will work how you want.

# July 28, 2009 at 10:05 am

cool thanks.

no those 2 end divs are closing 2 different div sections. one inside the other. I have notes next to the one as you can see.

I will go through and look for the things you pointed out the way you said to. Thanks for helping me understand.

# July 28, 2009 at 3:55 pm

finally figured that problem out. mis placed Divs as expected.. lots more cleaning up and building to do. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".