Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other nav tag – proper usage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Me and my co-worker argue over the proper use of the < nav > tag. When using the < nav > tag do you put an < ul > inside of it or just a bunch of < a > tags? I typically still use the < ul > inside the < nav > just because it is what I am used to doing and it is still a list of links. What do you guys think?

Senff
    Participant

Whatever you use for your site navigation (be it

s and

• s, or just images, or just a number of links) that’s what

is for.

You’re not required to put a

list in your

, but it’s a common thing to do nowadays, cause it’s (usually) a list of links.

Paulie_D

Also, just because it’s a list of links doesn’t mean you have to use a nav tag.

In general, and I think this was the spec, the nav tag is to be used to…oh heck, I’ll just cut and paste.

The nav element represents a section of a page that links to other pages or to parts within the page: a section with navigation links. Not all groups of links on a page need to be in a nav element only sections that consist of major navigation blocks are appropriate for the nav element. In particular, it is common for footers to have a list of links to various key parts of a site, but the footer element is more appropriate in such cases, and no nav element is necessary for those links.

aydoubleyou
      Participant

Both methods are acceptable as far as I know. It does irk me a bit to include a ul tag within the nav though just because it’s extra bloat in my markup .

frhetoric

I agree that still putting an

tag keeps it tidy, semantics-wise. However, my pickle is how do I properly call it in the css. I can’t seem to find a good practice to id it. Newbie, btw. Be gentle.

frhetoric

your pre tag confuses me.

Vermaas
        Participant

I always use this approach:

Just to make sure it will also work in older versions of IE/in IE. Seems to me perfectly semantic.

Paulie_D

@Vermaas That is true if you are using lists but

is equally valid if you are not.

Vermaas
        Participant

@Paulie_D And does it also work in IE7-IE9?

Paulie_D

It works in IE9 without any help (I think)

For IE8 and below, you would need to use the HTML5 shiv….but you’d be including that as a matter of course anyway for HTML5 elements.

Paulie_D

Just remember that the above is NOT an HTML list…it’s just a bunch of links grouped together…it won’t behave like a ‘true’ list.

andymaray
        Participant

@Paulie_D

What about the sub menu(dropdown)? is it possible to create with just nav, a tags

Paulie_D

Nope….although I suppose you could fake it.

Proper Submenus need to be list children of list items

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.