Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript nav bar changing position?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Doodayer
    Participant

so in a basic rundown of what i want to happen, the nav bar should always be fixed at the top of the screen, which i’ve effectively done. but when i’m at the top of the home webpage, i would like for my logo to go above my nav bar and for the nav bar to stay securely below it. once i scroll down, the nav bar can move back up to its position and the top of its screen and stay there. I honestly have no clue how to do this, and wouldn’t begin to know how to summarize that in three key words for a google search.
    http://codepen.io/Doodayer/pen/KwKxqg

if theres a more efficient way of using the image as a link, feel free to inform me. I’m fairly new to this, as in maybe 3 hours of total writing experience. thanks for all the help.

deeve007
    Participant

Use Jquery.
    Default has navbar positioned relatively so it sits below the logo.
    Then when y position of nav bar reaches “0” use Jquery to change its position to “fixed” at the top of the screen.
    Then when bottom y position of the logo is >0, revert the position of the navbar back to default.

Doodayer
    Participant

Ok i don’t have much experience with jquery, so heres what i have so far:

/*jquery navbar*/
    var x = $(".nav").position().top;

if (x = 0) {
        $(".nav").css("position", "fixed");
    }else{
        $(".nav").css("position", "relative");
    };

I’m not sure if those are the methods i should use, or how to properly find the y position of the nav bar, but thats what i’ve got.

also a weird bug i’m getting is the nav bar doesn’t have the full width, even though its set to 100%.

Paulie_D
    deeve007
    Participant

Not quite. Elements need to start off with position:relative, and then switch to position: fixed, and then vice versa when scrolling back.

deeve007
    Participant

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/qEBQMj

(click on the “edit” link to view it non-embedded)

Paulie_D

Not sure position:relative is necessary…the ‘staticswitching tofixed` is equally valid BUT it does look better.

:)

deeve007
    Participant

But it’s what he wants. The nav needs to move up with the logo/content, and THEN become fixed at the top of the screen.

Why would you want the nav to be “stuck” part way down the screen?? (until the logo disappears)

Paulie_D

It’s fixed below the header / logo and sticks to the top when the page is scrolled..which he wanted.

Yours is better though…as always, there’s many ways of doing something.

deeve007
    Participant

Well we’ve certainly interpreted what he was after in different ways, but I’m sure he can make his choice with the info we’ve given him now.

Doodayer
    Participant

thank you both for all the help. it definitely helped me get a better understanding of what i needed to do.

Doodayer
    Participant

I’m having another issue. for some reason the code all works in the codepen, but when i run it in firefox, it doesn’t work. Possible reasons?

Doodayer
    Participant

doesn’t work in chrome either.

deeve007
    Participant

Have you included the required library(ies)? (eg: jquery)

Doodayer
    Participant

thats what i’m having issues with. when i try to download jquery it takes me into a webpage full of open javascript. should it do this? also if i copy all of that can i just access it like this?

<script type=”text/javascript” src=”jquery.js”></script>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.