Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

My WP Site

• # November 4, 2008 at 8:18 pm

http://ncwebdesigner.info/
    What do you think?

# November 5, 2008 at 5:12 pm

i thought it was horrible. No offense. You are suppose to be a web designer yet your site has no design in it what so ever. Your first article talks about using colors other than black and white. Yet your entire site is black and white. Your site does nothing to showcase what you as a designer can do. One other thing I noticed is that you should not use the word "right" when you are talking about writing an article. You should be using "write" try putting some color into the site. This site should showcase what you are capable of doing. it is far to plain and boring. I also saw a video from youTube on what appeared to be brittany spears showing her private parts. This is not appropriate for you to display on your site. Especially if you are 13 as the info in the sidebar suggested. I do like the font choice of the main content area and your header graphic is unique, that shows some skill.

# November 7, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Hmm, your links are black, Post titles are black , everything is black.

You need to get some contrast involved, make your post titles stand out, make your links move visible and perhaps give a different background for the posts and the sidebar. Make use of free icons, or create you’re own for things like your twitter widget, give it a bit more life.

I know your only 13, but if your going to have a portfolio to show and impress potental employers, other designers, etc you should keep it professional.

(i.e. Keep your unsuitable youtube videos some where else for your friends to see, such as bebo, facebook etc)

Good effort though, things will progress.

# November 7, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have taken some of the advice into consideration.

# November 11, 2008 at 6:03 am

I think the grey and black works pretty well to be honest. For a 13 year old, you’re pretty good at this. Well, you’re doing better than I am and I’m 27 (although I’ve only been doing this for about 3 months).

From a design point of view, you should look at getting a little more colour into the site and maybe a few graphics to really make it pop.

# November 14, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Heh, I used a dark gray (#333) for the background even though it does look gray. I know it needs graphics but I don’t really have that creative touch, yet.

# November 16, 2008 at 2:00 pm

from a design point of view, make a bigger space between posts and maybe a very light grey line break, or make up a line break in the Gimp with your desired colour and pixel width, like on the main site page of here, chris has a break in between posts, it will help with viewing things better.

why not change your main header and links to have a darker or lighter grey to show that it is different.

basically play around with colour, make things stand out, to show what is different, for example:

header: #ccc
    main: #999
    sidebar: #666

play and discover but try and show the design/ where things stop/start/change

but your doing well for a 13 yr old, well done dude

# November 28, 2008 at 12:55 am

Thanks everyone. Made some colors changes (yet again…)

# December 19, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Updated the theme so it looks cooler

Rob
    # December 19, 2008 at 8:55 pm

yea – unfortunatly it now looks like a myspace profile :D

# December 20, 2008 at 4:13 am

You’re only 13, so I deem it appropriate to give you a break.

When you look back at this in 5 years though, you’ll be angry with yourself haha.

# December 22, 2008 at 12:49 am

:P Might agree with that in 5 years… We’ll see. Got some new plugins. Can you help me and anyone who has a Mac, download the iPhone SDK and take a screen shot so I can see what my site looks like because I have a new plugin that give my site a new look in iPhone type enviroment! Thanks!

# February 27, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Changed mu design and made it way more minimal. Tried to make load time better

# February 28, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Give the kid a break, I actually think it’s quite good! A bit stark maybe but the black & white thing does work.

# March 1, 2009 at 10:37 am

Thanks. I made my own wordpress theme like the one I use now: http://theme.ncwebdesigner.info/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".