Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other My New Video Site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AlCapone
    Participant

Lol – Please don’t treat me as competition Chris!

http://www.screen-tuts.com

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Ban him now! He’s encroaching on your turn… (pay no attention to my sig…) :?

Haha, the internet is a free place.

I like your header a lot. I couldn’t help but notice the similarities of your search bar to CSS Tricks (not that pinching ideas is illegal). Speaking of pinching ideas, your social bookmarking section is fabulous! Is that plugin? I want! ;)

My only critique off the bat is that there are some spacing/padding issues. The padding you have around your social bookmarking box is great, but the content inside the sidebar box right under it is pressed right up against the edges. I would also increase the padding for your main content box.

But why don’t you have any friends? I thought Al Capone had all sorts of friends. ;)

AlCapone
    Participant

Hello. Um lol about the search bar – i was drafting ideas on a peice of paper and for some reason that was in my head…. completely accidental just coulnt remember where i had seen it from. oops.

The social bookmarks is not a plugin just coded it my self =-)

If you like that effect, have you checked the comment sections? There better i think – but thats just me.

Well i dont think many people would want to be freinds with Al Capone.

As for my real name, thats a secret. Lol, only joking, Al Capone is the name i create flash games under, I havnt had time to create accounts for screen-tuts everywhere yet so just kept Al.

My real name is also Chris =-)

I like the overall site design, and you have obviously considered the structure, however I would recommend a slight logo change, to me it feels boring and as though there isn’t much going on. Apart from that, on the videos page, I would ask the user what category they want to view, but instead show all of them, and then group them. Also on the videos page, make the images links, as opposed to just having ‘Check it out…’ as the link.

Lastly, you need a page icon, doesn’t have to be a favicon, just use the short cut icon snippet.

-Tom

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Very cool man, the more learning stuff out there, the better!

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "tomwalters5678" wrote:
    … however I would recommend a slight logo change, to me it feels boring and as though there isn’t much going on…

I disagree. I really like the logo. Probably one of my favorite parts of the site. Good work on the videos too.

I don’t know the exact rules on it, but I would recommend not having spaces between your attributes and values

Code:

instead of

Code:

I don’t know what the w3c says about that… anyone?

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "AshtonSanders" wrote:
    I don’t know the exact rules on it, but I would recommend not having spaces between your attributes and values

Code:

instead of

Code:

I don’t know what the w3c says about that… anyone?

I think it would validate, but I don’t think its the best syntax in the world :)

AshtonSanders
    Participant

I’m assuming you’re talking about the one with additional spaces?

TheDoc
    "AshtonSanders" wrote:
    "tomwalters5678" wrote:
    … however I would recommend a slight logo change, to me it feels boring and as though there isn’t much going on…

I disagree. I really like the logo. Probably one of my favorite parts of the site.

Favourite parts of the site? I have no idea how you could have that opinion. It definitely needs a lot of work, and by that I mean to be redone.

I’d say the only one thing I like about the entire design is the mouse and mouse pad.

I can understand people being supportive and saying that it’s a good start "but here’s where you can improve", but to say that everything is wonderful and happy really doesn’t provide the person with any help (which one would assume they came here for in the first place).

There is a grand chasm between Chris’ design used for CSS-Tricks and that of Screen-Tuts.com. The major difference is that you trust CSS-Tricks. The design is good, the markup is great. Every little detail has been thought about and carefully constructed. These same attributes just cannot be used describing Screen-Tuts.com.

Having said that, the structure is there, the design simply needs a lot of work. Simple things like jagged edges on the navigation, that should never end up on a live site.

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "AshtonSanders" wrote:
    I’m assuming you’re talking about the one with additional spaces?

sorry yes I was :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.