Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

My first CSS website

• # July 13, 2008 at 10:01 pm

hi,

this is my first css website. I have alot more to add on it, but i’d appreciate some feedback.

Every time i go on the site, it loads realy slow (especialy the hover menue). i tried testing it in on the size softwares and stuff and i can’t find any reason why it does this, do you have any ideas.

all comments are welcome

thanks

http://www.els-exhibit.co.nr/
    aurel

# July 14, 2008 at 9:37 am

Perhaps it’s your host? If it’s 10gb Free Host, I’m probably correct. I don’t see any other reason why the pages should load that slowly…

# July 14, 2008 at 11:41 am

i would use css sprites (http://css-tricks.com/css-sprites-what-they-are-why-theyre-cool-and-how-to-use-them/) for the menu to avoid the slow responses on the hover menu.
    also, i would rethink the noise you have used for the header and the menu. you want the name of your site to be clear and easily read, the noise makes this hard to do

# July 14, 2008 at 10:50 pm

I agree about the noise… you don’t want people to have to look around for the title of the site, and on top of that, have difficulty making it out. Also, I would recommend saving your image files at a little bit higher quality… The ones in your gallery aren’t too sharp.

Also, els-exhibit.co.nr is what exactly? Because the site’s content isn’t clear from the URL, you want whatever you’re offering to be very clear… Looks like some flash tuts? Possibly an easy to read header with a small description..

ELS Exhibit
    a place for flash tutorials.

CSS tricks can get away without it because css-tricks.com tells you what it is up front. You won’t expect to find travel information here.

Just a suggestion. =)

# July 15, 2008 at 7:38 am
    "milehighdesigner" wrote:
    CSS tricks can get away without it because css-tricks.com tells you what it is up front. You won’t expect to find travel information here.

Still, we’ve got that guy who thought it was a Counter-Strike: Source (abbr.: CSS) forum. And I could understand that a gamer without any clue of webdesign terminology could confuse it for one. Still, when you get to the front page there’s no chance in hell visitors should belive that this page isn’t about cascading style sheets.

# July 15, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the comment,

I haven’t thought about the slowness of the host, I just picked a free one as this is my first attempt to web design.

The CSS sprints look really good solution; I will try and improve the navigation, at the moment I’m playing around with that technique

When I created the banner and the nav buttons, (i thought) they looked good in terms of matching together, but haven’t really thought of it in terms of how the audience may react,

These comments are really useful, thanks again

aurel

# July 15, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Here’s an idea you may want to think of when you’re designing.

Who is this website for? Besides the target audience, it’s for visitors. Not for you, as the designer, to look at and admire. You must think like someone who is visiting your site for the first time. What you might find neat or cool, someone else may find confusing. That’s not to say make everything plain jane. That’s where the challenge in design lies… Finding a perfect balance between all elements of the website.

A plain white site with a big bold title and everything in 100% width word wrapping paragraphs is boring and looks tedious to read.
    On the opposite side of the spectrum, I’ve visited some flash sites that take forever just to find the link you’re looking for, followed by 10 seconds of animation between each page. If I wanted to watch that much animation, I’d go to Blockbuster.

You get my point. =)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".