Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other my eyes hurt…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    shamai

hello people…
    so… I have not been here in a while because I was working on a website for 6 hours straight for 2 days and after that my eyes have never been the same.
    They hurt when I look at anything for too long. I think I killed the muscles in my eyes.
    I have been out of touch with the world of design and development and it has been a sad sad month and a half.

My eyes are feeling better, although they still hurt if im on the computer for more than 30 minutes.
    Has anybody here ever dealt with this and what have you done?

I hope I still remember how to code and design….

chrisburton
    Participant

I think the logical thing to suggest is to consult with your Doctor.

shamai

well the first one i went to said my eyes were fine….that i should let them rest.
    im going to another dr soon…

chrisburton
    Participant

That’s probably what you should do. I would also dim the brightness of the screen and work in low brightness environments.

shamai

woah! someone else just told me the same thing about the brightness. maybe its a sign…
    I love the brightest setting… but ill try it…

Andy Howells
    Participant

I get the same problems after multiple late nights of coding. I went to the opticians and he tested my eyes and said they were fine.

He said the best thing to do is make sure I’m hydrated and that screen brightness is turned down. Following that advice I’m much better.

Also at night, make sure you have a dim light in the room for night time, rather than bright top lights, I have an ikea spotlight lamp on my desk now – it’s duller and helps my eyes rest.

TreeRoot
    Participant

First, you should get a doctor to check out your eyes. If you wear glasses, you may need to get your eyes checked to see if you need a new prescription. Also, make sure you’re using an anti-glare screen. Try some eyedrops, such as Systane or Genteal.

Also, you may want to start employing the 20/20/20 rule: every 20 minutes look away from your computer screen at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. I heard this on one of those dr shows.

I also agree with others about excessive brightness or having too much contrast. I haven’t had these eye problems for a while, but I always keep the brightness and contrast low.

Take a look at your refresh rate. Set it to as high a setting as possible.

A lot of what I’ve stated may not be a factor depending on your display: CRT or LCD. CRT, for me, is considerably more problematic.

Finally, take a look at this article about dealing with eye strain:
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm

shamai

thanks a lot!
    I have tried keeping off the computer but its really hard in the year 2012…
    I find myself very bored if im not on it.

Try the 20:20 rule!
    I had similar problems and decided to go to my doctor, I was told to stare at something further than 20 meters away, for 20 seconds, every 20 mins. This forces the retina in your eye to re-focus enough to provide you with another 20 mins of safe computer usage. Hope this helps, I have noticed a significant improvement in my vision since implamenting this.

dfogge
    Participant

20/20/20 ftw

organicit

don’t forget to keep blinking. make sure your glazees are moist.

Alex
    Participant

Take a break and walk around outside, maybe go on a hike. This has happened to me before. I started incorporating weekend hikes into my schedule, just to force myself to be outside for long periods of time.

I’ve also seen something called [computer glasses]( “http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/computer_glasses.htm”)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.