Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

My company’s new site, feedback appreciated!

• # January 8, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Hey everyone,

Here’s my companies new site I’ve been working lately…

http://tinyurl.com/9eqvxx
    (as always, tiny url’ed for search engines)

Couple things I know aren’t working right in IE7.. and if anyone can test it on IE6, that’d be awesome.. I don’t trust my IETester anymore. If everything is pushed around, I need to make an IE6 only CSS. It’s weird, it only pushes over when I’m using the PNG hack, otherwise it displays correctly, just with the messed up transparency.

In IE 7, I know the Questions li drop down menu isn’t starting out at correct opacity. Also, the left side gradient over the tabs isn’t displaying properly when you go to a page… the tab corresponding to the page should be over it. Everything works perfectly in FF.

On the services page, I’m going to be adding tooltips.. that’s my last step. As you can see on the right, it’ll say "move your mouse over to learn more" but theres no tips there. ;)

Design wise, only thing I’m not sure on is the footer…

I’d like to hear your thoughts, critiques on anything though! Thanks!!

Edit: Updated the link

# January 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Taking a quick glance at it, I really enjoy the design. It’s nice and sleek :)

On that note. The only little things I though upon first reaction were:

Perhaps the "Sign Up" could have a bit more impact, like a button. A call to action, ya know?

"That’s Synergy" could be lightened up a bit, more vibrant, didn’t even see it when I first glanced.

Other than just some typography stuff, I really like it :)

Best of luck!

# January 9, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I’m not sure why exactly, maybe I was expecting a little bit more, but I think you could do better.

From seeing you around the forum, it’s obvious that you know your stuff, but I don’t think the site reflects that very well.

You’ve got some fancy features (ie side nav) and some good design elements within the site, but I think the container itself doesn’t quite cut it.

If it were any other user on the forum I’d say that it was fine, but I think you have the potential to do much better.

Rob
    # January 9, 2009 at 7:21 pm

a quicky just to show you how it displays in IE6 :)

I will have a proper look tomorrow :S its too late here now…

http://www.svgonline.co.uk/ie6synergy.jpg

# January 10, 2009 at 2:18 am

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback, any and all is appreciated. I know the design is kind of contrasting in terms of focus, but that was the idea.. I wanted the folder background to look like a presentation folder, and all the paperclips holding things down were casual "notes" added in by the designer sort of… even though they’re directed to the visitor and referring to you as a potential client.

Droogie: Good point on the "sign up" being an image, I was thinking it didn’t pop out enough for the visitor and then I just never got around to it, but after you mentioning that, I will definitely do it. I’ll try the that’s synergy a little more vibrant.. I was trying to keep it low key, but if its not noticable at all, defeats the purpose of having it there.

Doc: I take your remarks as a compliment… What exactly do you think isn’t cutting it with the container? I’m assuming you’re talking about the pseudo-folder background. Does it seem out of place or too contrasting design-idea with the rest of the site?

Rob: Ugh. That’s what my IETester shows… Looks like I’ll be creating an IE6 style sheet.

If someone wouldn’t mind explaining to me though… If I don’t apply the png hack, it displays correctly, just with the png transparency as a an off white color. If I apply the hack, everything gets the transparency as expected, but then all the elements positioning is off. My guess is that because the PNG hack is applying this "clear.gif" image to substitute for the off-white color, that it pushes everything over to compensate for each instance of the clear.gif. In some sites, this would be fine, but since mine is z-index galore, it screws everything up? I don’t know… I guess I’ll just tinker with it and make a bogus IE6 CSS and if it works, it works. :<

Thanks guys, and again, I value your opinions… I feel as a designer, it’s important to have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or more pair of eyes and brains check out each others work for first impressions, improvements, etc.

If anyone else has an opinion, I’d love to hear it.

# January 10, 2009 at 8:48 am

hey i really liked your design a lot..
    its very simple yet very beautiful. I found one bug though. If you hover your mouse over the side navigation buttons very fast and more than once, they keep coming out and going back in. You have to optimize your jquery code to resolve that i think.. :)

# January 11, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Alright,I made several several changes to the site…

http://tinyurl.com/9eqvxx

– slight logo detail
    – changed folder container background to be have more realistic looking shadows and added depth
    – added texturedepth to all the Nav tabs
    – Made the animation smoother and fixed the "repeating" bug where it would keep animating if u kept mousing over it
    – added 2 buttons on index to replace the link text on bottom left
    – changed the current nav "tabs" on the pages to have more depth
    – added a shadow on the freequote page, i wanted it clean, but before it looked too dull
    – widened the letterspacing on "that’s synergy" on index
    – changed the buttonlogo next to "that’s synergy" to the theme gradient
    – fixed all the links back to index page
    – cleaned up code, fixed a few mistakes
    – changed nextprev buttons in portfolio and moved them
    – took off the gradient background in portfolio… looked dumb.

Known issues still – no IE6 css yet, no custom tooltips yet, ie7 current nav tab Z-index… If anyone knows a fix to this, please let me know… The only thing I could was "place a z-index on the position: relative elements" well, I did that and it didnt work.

I like all the changes I made, so i’d like to know your opinion again Doc. ;)

# January 11, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Bad things are happening on this page on Mac Safari:
    http://www.synergywebproductions.com/freequote.htm

On the main page, the "Sign Up" and "Explore" boxes need some tweaking. The text needs to breath, give it some more padding around the edges.

Every time I click on any page the left nav thing always seems to screw up. And then the page will suddenly kind of flash/lock into place. I’m not sure having that happen is worth keeping a funky nav.

On your portfolio page, the screenshots should be consistent imo with the reflections, shadows, etc. I don’t think there should be any shadows, just a VERY SLIGHT reflection. Very slight, key there.

I think the shadows across the site need to be toned down actually. Specifically looking at the Q/A page, there is some HEAVY shadow/bevel/craziness going on there. Also, the drop down doesn’t work for me. If I try going down a few, it just disappears. This is another "fancy" thing that really doesn’t need to be there.

The footer seems to sit very far down the page for no reason since there is such a large gap between it and the content. Speaking of the footer, I would remove the "Synergy…". It just kind of looks like a watermark, no reason for it being there if people have to struggle to read it (same goes for "That’s Synergy" on the main page).

I just quickly browsed Themeforest for a couple of themes that might be similar to yours that might show you what I mean:

http://wptheme2.mipdesign.com/

http://themeforest.net/theme_previews/2 … hop-design

http://themeforest.net/theme_previews/20523-parchment

You’ll notice that they are all a bit brighter, a touch simpler and cleaner, and overall look much more professional.

You’ve got some "neat" gadgets, but I think they get in the way of the site’s usability, which is far more important than "wow, that’d be really cool if it worked 100%"

# January 11, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Thanks Doc… Well, I see validity in your points. Good thoughts on the portfolio images and the index buttons. I’m gonna tweak the nav more. The Dropdown on the QandAs is fine on all browsers for me… I’ll look into it more. Its just a styleJSd drop down so it should work. I’ll look into all the other problems as well. I think I know a fix for the nav displaying funky too… I’ll simplify it.

I wanted to do something different, and that was the design inspiration for the site… course, different doesn’t equate to good.

Thanks for the feedback Doc, I appreciate it!

# January 12, 2009 at 12:06 pm

It’s really nice! Reduce the "Thinking of a Website for your Business?"-font-size a little bit. Theres is something wrong with the Sign-up und Explore-button. The typo is too big.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".