Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other My 4th website, and my portfolio, gimme feedback!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DrewOlsen

Now, this isn’t finished. Been working on it the last couple of weeks. This is seriously my 4th website. I am looking for feedback on my design and how I can improve as a designer. Please give me any tips or hints you wish to give!

http://www.drewolsendesign.com/homecopy.php

Thank you very much for anything you can give me!!

Luminated

I dig it, a lot. The multiple testimonials on the homepage with the big quotation marks feels odd. Also feels like the homepage could use some more aligning…feels a bit awkward as it is now, especially proportion wise. I would also ease up on the drop shadow just a tad, make it a bit more subtle.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Yea, it’s really not half bad.

I would simplify your home page (above the fold) as it hits you in the face like a brick: so much attracting your attention at once.
    I like your Drew Quote. I think having two quotes right next to each other in different layouts is too much.
    Also, It took me 10 seconds to find your navigation as I expected to be in the top right, but those words weren’t clickable.

I do like the imagery on the sub pages, and the overall style is very classy.

DrewOlsen

I agree about the multiple quotes. I will be removing the testimonial. I would rather a potential client find out about my principles immediately than read a testimonial. If they are interested they can find it on a subsequent page.

About the main content. Should I do two wider columns, and spread my quote along the bottom of the page? or end up with 3 columns? I am think the first of the two.

Ashton: If i removed the letters at the top, in your opinion would that eliminate the distraction and make the navigation easier to find? or should I just completely move it?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "DrewOlsen" wrote:
    Ashton: If i removed the letters at the top, in your opinion would that eliminate the distraction and make the navigation easier to find? or should I just completely move it?

Tough question. I really like those words being there… okay, this is what I would do:

I would make those words "simple. elegant. effective design" under your logo and make it smaller. I’d make that into your tag line for your site. Then I’d put your navigation bar in the top right.

I’m assuming some of your clientele will not be internet enthusiasts, and may get lost trying to find the navigation if it’s in the middle of the page like that.

my $.02

DrewOlsen

Take a look at it now. I moved some things around, eliminated others, and changed the navigation just slightly in hopes that it will distinguish it as navigation a bit more.

Again, thank you for the feedback! :mrgreen:

AshtonSanders
    Participant

I like it man.

My parting comment is that I think if you had 6 differently-colored websites in that little sidebar thing, it would be way tooo much color. I would keep it simple and make that whole main box about 1 website design.

GavinCZA

Pretty decent.

I like the feel to the site, not too bad at all.

Maybe also just a jump back from the blog back to the site might be a good idea. But other than that, well done.

DrewOlsen

Yeah, that is in the works. I want to get the main site up and running, then I am going to style the blog to something similar, and add the appropriate links

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.